Chapter 3

The following evening, Sabine pushed open the door and stormed into the dimly lit tavern.

"Dammit. Get Dax. Now," One of Dax's guards ordered.

A man hastened toward the back rooms, but she ignored him as she scanned the seating areas. Her target was in here somewhere. Dax would take a few minutes to arrive, and it might be enough time to get the information she needed without his interference.

"Sabine? Can I get you a drink?"

She didn't respond to the bartender's attempt at distracting her. Instead, she hung up her cloak to allow more freedom of movement. Taking a step down into the main seating area, another one of Dax's men stepped in front of her.

"Sabine, always good to see you. Are you looking for someone?"

She spared the briefest glance at Javyn. "Which one is Riven?"

Javyn frowned and didn't reply right away. Sabine narrowed her eyes on him, dropping her hand to the hilt of her knife. Javyn was the only one of Dax's men who would dare consider challenging her presence, but only up to a point.

Lowering her voice to barely above a whisper, she threatened, "Do not push me on this, Javyn. Point out Riven, and your task is done."

Javyn nodded toward the southernmost table. It was enough for her to pick out a man fitting the description she'd been given. Riven, the man who had sold information about her whereabouts, was drinking with several others at the table. Judging by his animated gestures and loud voice, he was more than a little intoxicated.

She moved quickly to the table and kicked out Riven's chair from underneath him. He fell over backward. Everyone else at the table jumped up, but they immediately backpedaled when they sobered with recognition. None of them made any effort to help their drinking buddy.

Pressing her boot against Riven's throat, she withdrew one of her knives. "I got a message you were looking for me."

His eyes widened in fear. She pressed down a little harder. "Who paid you, Riven?"

He opened his mouth as though trying to speak. Sabine eased up her foot, and he managed, "I-I-I don't know what you're—"

She cut him off by pressing down again with the heel of her boot. Turning the blade in her hand so the light caught the metal, she leaned forward. "Shall I start removing your body parts until your memory returns? We can start with your pretty blue eyes."

His eyes bulged, and he tried to shake his head. She eased up again, and he held up his hands in surrender. "P-please, Sabine. I haven't done anything. I'd never betray Dax. You have the wrong man."

"Is there a problem here?"

Sabine bit back the urge to curse. Dax had arrived a little too quickly.

She took a step away from Riven and turned around to face Dax. He was an intimidating figure with a powerful physique. His intense amber eyes were focused on her, and she returned his gaze evenly. Inclining her head, she gestured to the man on the ground. "I'd say so. It seems your man's been selling information about me, Dax."

His eyes flashed to silver and narrowed on the man at her feet. "Is that so?"

Riven sat up halfway and rubbed his neck. "I swear I'm loyal to you, Dax. I'd never do anything to betray you."

Dax scowled and crossed his arms over his chest. "Which is it? Are you calling Sabine a liar? Or have you been selling information?"

Sabine leaned against a column as Javyn and Campho moved forward and hauled Riven to his feet. Riven's expression was full of panic now, and he searched the room for anyone who might intervene. The fool. No one would challenge Dax, especially when his eyes were silvered.