Chapter 4

Malek wrapped his arms around Sabine, holding her tightly as her body went limp. Levin moved forward, taking a protective stance beside him with his weapon drawn. Malek didn't fully understand everything that had happened between Dax and Sabine, except she'd most likely saved everyone still inside the tavern. A number of people had fled the minute she stabbed Dax, but there were still too many onlookers. When Dax's eyes turned silver, Malek had thought he might have to abandon his subterfuge to stop the demon from killing everyone. He wasn't sure how, but Sabine had managed to bring Dax away from that dangerous edge. It only reinforced Malek's earlier belief that Sabine had been touched by the Fae, especially after hearing her speak words of power. No one with only a trace amount of magic could have such an ability.

Javyn, the man who had helped restrain Riven earlier, moved toward Sabine. Through the tusks jutting from his lips, he demanded, "Give her to me."

"Not going to happen," Malek retorted, refusing to release Sabine.

It wasn't simply a matter of his protective instincts when it came to her. Until he knew what Dax planned to do with her, he wasn't letting Sabine out of his sight. Right now, she was his best chance at finding someone with enough Fae magic to serve his purposes. If Dax intended to harm her, he'd have to go through Malek first.

Dax yanked Sabine's knife from his stomach and clutched his wound. Black blood oozed down his midsection, and he leaned heavily against the counter. Sweat trailed heavily over his obsidian skin, and Malek suspected she'd poisoned him just like the man who'd attacked her in the alley.

In a raspy voice, Dax said, "Let Malek bring her, and have someone locate Esmelle. She was downstairs earlier."

Without waiting for a response, Dax staggered toward the back rooms. Javyn motioned for Malek to follow him, stopping only to issue instructions to a few of Dax's people. Malek bent down and lifted Sabine into his arms. She was lighter than he expected, and he caught a faint scent of the night-blooming flowers he'd noticed last time she'd gotten close to him. Having her in his arms was strangely disconcerting, and a surge of protectiveness filled him as he breathed in her alluring scent. It was another indicator of the potency of her Fae magic if she could affect him this strongly even while she slumbered.

"Are you sure about this?" Levin whispered, still holding tightly to his weapon. "If you're wrong about her, we've just alienated our biggest potential ally."

"I'm sure," Malek said, prepared to come up with another plan if his beliefs were unfounded. He wasn't willing to allow anything to happen to Sabine. He wasn't sure why he felt so strongly about her, but he doubted the mark she'd left on his wrist had anything to do with it. Even before she'd marked him, he'd been drawn to her. It was why he'd searched for the burst of magic he'd felt that night. It had called to him.

"In here." Javyn led him into a large bedroom suite. A few pieces of highly decorative furnishings were situated in the room, but there were no personal mementos. It had the appearance of being a temporary room, and not one that was frequently used.

Dax staggered over to a chair and slumped down on it.

Javyn gestured to the bed. "Put her down over there."

Malek carried Sabine to the bed and gently placed her on it. One of the braids binding her hair fell across her face. He brushed it aside, allowing his fingers to trail over her soft skin. Looking at her in this unguarded moment made it easy to understand why even the gods had succumbed to the allure of the Fae. And Sabine was only part Fae.

"Take her weapons, Javyn," Dax muttered, dropping Sabine's poisoned knife on the desk with a clatter. "The key to the chest is on the table beside the bed. Lock it when you're finished and toss me the key." He rubbed his abdomen. "Fuck, this hurts. Where the hell is Esmelle?"