Chapter Twenty-Three: Mr. and Mrs. West

I took a deep breath, and Dad and I began walking forward.  The music changed as we began down the aisle.

My heart was beating erratically out of my chest to the point at which I could hardly even hear the music.  I took a deep shaky breath, terrified as I felt everyone's eyes on me.  My eyes were trained on the ground, trying desperately not to look around at everyone's eyes on me.

Then the most nerve-racking realization struck me.  Maverick was waiting for me at the end of the aisle.

I looked up, desperate to see Maverick's reaction.  Immediately upon seeing his face, my nerves settled.

He was smiling widely, and I couldn't help but return it.

The black suit and tie that he wore was perfectly fitted to his body.  His blond hair was combed in my favorite way.

Dad and I got closer to the altar, and my nerves were getting worse again.  I bit my lip ever-so-slightly, trying not to ruin my lipstick.

'You look gorgeous, darling,' he mouthed.  I smiled.

Dad finally stopped at the altar and gently kissed my cheek.  Then, he gave Maverick a hug before taking his seat in the front pew.  I placed my hand in Maverick's, and we stepped up the few stairs that led to the altar.

The first part of the ceremony seemed to take forever, but it was finally time for the vows.  Maverick and I stood face-to-face in front of the altar.

"Marriage is a gift-" the officiant began his speech.

My mind drifted as I stared into the warm brown eyes of the man I was marrying.  The man I'd be waking up beside for the rest of my life.  The man I was going to finally have my dream life with.

And, who knows, maybe it wouldn't be a dream.  Maybe we'd have a million more false accusations in magazines.  Maybe not every day would be sunshine and rainbows with no problems.  Maybe my life wouldn't be easy... But at least I'd be living it with Maverick.

I realized I'd been spaced out for a bit.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres," the officiant read.

Maverick smiled at me, and I felt the same butterflies fluttering in my stomach that I always felt.  He squeezed my hands in his, and I smiled even wider.

"Do you, Maverick Roland West, take Emerson Rose Smith to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, as long as you both shall live?"

Maverick squeezed my hands again. "I do."

"Do you, Emerson Rose Smith, take Maverick Roland West to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, as long as you both shall live?"

My cheeks were starting to hurt from how much I was smiling. "I do."

"You may exchange the rings.

We both turn to Clara and Landon, and they hand us the rings.  Maverick puts the ring on my finger first.  Then, I put his wedding band on his finger.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife," the officiant declared.  The officiant looked towards Maverick and said, "You may now kiss the bride."

Maverick wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me to him as he pressed his lips to mine.  I placed my hands at the nape of his neck, holding his lips against mine.