Chapter 29

"So, i'm the first person you've told?" We're back at the iron bench, sitting across from each and holding hands. 

     "Yeah, I didn't want to hurt you again. Not after last time. You deserve better." Regret is vibrant in his light colored eyes. He can never understand the weight he lifted from my chest with this piece of information. For so long, I wondered what I had done wrong. But it wasn't my fault. It wasn't his. It just was. 

     "Do you have a boyfriend? You have to tell me everything!" 

     "Actually, i'm still with Riley." He admits, sheepishly. 

     "Really?" I smile widely, because knowing he can find happiness in this small minded town brings me joy. "And no ring on it yet?"

     "Soon!" He chuckles. There's something so different about him now that hes told me this side of him. Something that I didn't notice before. This Jackson is full of life, happier, lighter. As if a weight of his own has been removed. It feels like i'm being introduced to a completely different person. "I want to, but there's hasn't been the right moment. Part of me wants to have my approval from my dad, but I don't think that's gonna happen." 

     "You don't know that until you try." Scooting closer, I take a deep look into his eyes. "But even if he doesn't accept it, he's the one missing out. He's not going to see how amazing you are beyond those protective barriers. You deserve to be happy."

     "How can you forgive me so easily? You should hate me."

     "I can't hate you for not loving me. That's not something you can control."

     "Maybe not, but I still lied to you. I led you on. I cheated on you. I was supposed to be your best friend and I treated you like crap." 

     "We all make mistakes, Jackson. I forgave you for yours a long time ago. I was hurt. So hurt. You were my first love. But I know you." Squeezing his hands, I smile. "I know you are a good person. I know you wouldn't purposely hurt anyone, especially me. You were afraid. I just wish you could have trusted me. You do now, though and that's all that matters." 

     "You're the best person I know." Suddenly, Jackson draws me into his arms. Never, not even when we were in a relationship, did he ever hug me like this. I know this is only the beginning for him. I'm the first of more to come. And all I can do is pray that it will all go well. Because out of everyone I know, Jackson is the most deserving of a happy ending. The sound of a clearing throat, brought both of us is back to that bench at the Miss Belle Pageant. Behind us, Roman stands with his hands tucked away in his pockets. 

     "They're ready to announce the winner. Thought you would want to be there by Willow's side." 

     Looking between Roman and Jackson, i'm trying to decide if it's the right moment to leave, after someone so important to me has told me their biggest secret. As if answering my question, Jackson nods. 

     "Are you sure?" Again, my eyes dance between the two. 

     "Yeah, I need some time for myself." Flashing a quick glance to Roman, he leans in to whisper in my ear. "Get your man." Cheeks flushed a deep red, I follow Roman back to the house. 

     "What was that about?" Roman asks from beside me. 

     "Oh, that? Oh, uh, just explaining what happened back there. It was nice of him to escort Willow, don't you think?" Ahead of us, the pageant girls are lining up while the rest of the crowd spreads around. 

     "You're a terrible liar, you know that?" Flashing him a quick glance, I'm unable to respond because once we're close enough, we're silenced by Mrs. Higgs thanking everyone for attending the annual Miss Belle Pageant over the microphone. Seeing Willow lined up among the other girls, I feel a sense of pride. This is not the same girl I first met at the beginning of all this. That girl was timid and unsure of her decision of joining the pageant. This girl stands with her head held high and a giddy smile dancing across her lips. 

     Like in previous pageants, Mrs. Higgs also thanks each of the girls for joining. She then goes on to thank each of the investors that make today possible. The speech feels like it goes on forever. By the time she's nearing the end and ready to announce the winner, my hand is squeezing the life out of Roman's. 

     "The winner of the Miss Belle pageant and this year's Miss Belle is..." I can feel Roman's eyes on me, but I can't look away. My heart is beating so fast. It's almost like i'm back up there. "Maybelle Dawson." A punch to the gut. I'm searching for any sign of pain I feel in Willow's expression, but all I can find is pure joy. Everyone claps, even the crying mothers of those who lost. "Thank you all again for showing up. Can't wait for next year! Welcome Maybelle Dawson as our newest Belle. And enjoy the rest of your evening." Immediately, a large part of the crowd surrounded Maybelle, congratulations flying left and right. Bitter moms and daughters walk off to find a quiet place to bad mouth the pageant and other girls. All the while, Willow walks towards me, thanking everyone for their compliments on her dress and hair. 

     "I'm so sorry." Close enough to take each others hands, I flash her a comforting smile. "You really deserved to win. You worked so hard." Willow shakes her head. 

     "It's not about the winning. Honestly, this is the most fun i've had since ever. And, I even made some new friends. I need to find my mom, but I wanted to thank you. If it wasn't for you, I would've never done this." The light in her eyes is brighter than ever. Truth spills in the words she speaks. At least one good thing came out of this visit to Georgia. "I would have regretted it. Thank you so much, Sawyer." 

     "I'm glad I could help, but it was within you all along. You just needed a little push." Laughing, she looks over my shoulder. With a final goodbye, she quickly makes her way to her mom. 

     Change isn't going to happen in a couple weeks, but a small, naive, part of me hoped that it would. This town, no matter some of the good qualities, is small minded. I wanted to believe that I could change that. Willow should have won. If she was white with blonde hair and blue eyes, perhaps she would have. But I can't deny the gaze in people's eyes, the adoring smiles, and the compliments raining in on her. Change is happening. Just not as fast as I had hoped. 

     "Ready to blow this popsicle stand?" Roman's deep voice asks, his large hand resting on my lower back. Looking around, searching for the judgmental looks of my parents. However, none can be found. Before anyone can see me, I take him by his arm. 

     "Let's get out of here."

Do you think Willow should have won? 

Were you surprised when she didn't?

Comment and like!

All feedback is welcomed!

Also, here's a manip of our beloved Roman and Sawyer. Designed by stylesoftimothee

 Designed by stylesoftimothee