Chapter 17

The brunette waitress from downstairs jumps off of Scarlette, eyes wide as she realizes what i've just seen. The youngest Berkshire readjusts her thin dress strap on her shoulder, carefully looking between us. Like the first time we met, I can tell she's analyzing the situation before acting.

     "I am so sorry." The words tumble from between my lips. Not wasting another awkward second, I hurry out of the room, closing the door behind me. My feet carry me half way down the hall, nearly tripping over my dress in the process. Tears build in my eyes at the thought of what just happened. The embarrassment across the features of the women runs through my head on an endless loop. Clearly, I walked in on a private moment, one that they might fear anyone knowing about. Now, what? Would they fear what I'd say? Would they live in fear because of me? My stomach turns at the thought.

     "Sawyer!" I hear Scarlette's voice hiss from behind me. I realize that i've stopped and am now leaning against the wall to catch my breath. She slows to a stop beside me, resting her hand on my shoulder with a comforting touch. "Are you okay?"

     "I'm so so sorry." I whisper in a trembling tone, daring to break at any second. I set both my bag and black box on the floor before taking both her hands in mine. "I never meant to walk in on you, but you have my word, i'll never ever say anything. I promise." My eyes stay on hers, desperate to prove my sincerity. "I know I don't know you very well, Scarlette, but I know you're a good person. A person that deserves to be happy. Don't ever change for anybody, okay?" The last thing I want is for her to feel like she has to hide from me, or even worse, be afraid of me.

     "Oh, please. As if I would think you'd spill the beans." She laughs, nonchalantly. Pulling her hands from mine, she uses the pad of her thumbs to wipe away my tears. "You're the most trustworthy person I know. And definitely the last person that would share my secret." After wiping away my tears, something I thought I would have to do for her, she bends down and retrieves my items. "Elena is a bit worried, but i'll tell her we can trust you. She's scared of what her mother might think." She flashes me a half smile. "I guess i'm scared of what my mother might think too. My father has never been too fond of me, even though i'm his mistake to begin with, but my mother took me in. She forgave him and accepted me when he wouldn't. I don't want to make her regret it."

     "Your father's mistake?" I ask carefully, hoping i'm not prying. Scarlette bites her lip, clearly contemplating whether to share this information with me or not.

     "He cheated on my mom with another woman. I'm the product of that mistake. That woman almost instantly abandoned me and my father followed behind. Well, tried. Until my mother stepped in. That woman has a heart of gold. She took me in and forced my father to be a father to me. What if she finds out what I am and regrets that choice? What if she doesn't want me anymore?" For the first time since I met her, I see fear in Scarlette Berkshire's eyes.

     "Your mom seems like the type of person to accept anyone. Even after only a short time of knowing her, I know she loves her children more than life itself. I don't think she would ever turn you away."

     "But is it worth the risk? There's a small chance that this will be too much and she will turn her back on me. Is it worth losing my family over?" She's searching my eyes, searching for the answers to her question. If only she knew this is something I ask myself everyday. Is it worth losing my family to follow my dreams? I shake my head.

     "I'm not sure." I admit. "But I do know you deserve to be happy." She smiles, handing my belongings back to me.

     "I know, but perhaps at my own time. Right now, I can have my little bit of happiness behind closed doors." Her eyes flash over my shoulder then return to mine. "I believe you have someone to wish happy birthday to." And just like that, Scarlette is retreating back to the room down the hall, leaving me to my own devices. I take a second to collect myself, knowing for a fact that I look absolutely ridiculous. After a few seconds to myself, I turn around, nearly running straight into Roman.