lxiv. twitter, article

twitter!

adira @adira
so insanely grateful for elvera and everyone at @Fusion 🖤 forever thankful to be able to express this beautiful new chapter in our own way

∙∙∙

article!

Fusion!
ADIRA AND JUSTIN BIEBER: THE NEW CHAPTER
September 2019 Issue
by Elvera Rone

"I'm ready to pop," Adira says, settling into her mustard yellow couch. The 23-year-old singer sits relaxed with her husband Justin Bieber's arm slung across her shoulder. It's a sight I've grown familiar with in the time we've spent together, journeying through their life as a newlywed couple and expecting parents. Their months of seclusion as they await the arrival of their first child—who Bieber affectionately calls Pluto, named after his favourite planet—have been filled with laughter and smiles, all away from prying eyes on their Canadian ranch, the home they bought at the end of last year as the first permanent in their relationship.

Bieber laughs, then casts an admiring look at her belly. "They're going to make their entrance when they're ready," he says. The faraway look in his eyes takes me back to our first real talk. He was vulnerable and raw, revealing his fears about taking on his most important role: father. It's a role he's taken great pride in. He's decorated the nursery. He's sang lullabies every night. He's rubbed Adira's belly every chance he can get. And he says he's never been happier than with just the two of them, their dogs, and their best friends.

"I want to be there for everything, you know? I don't want to miss anything," he said to me as we walked through the couple's garden. The 25-year-old says it's been difficult to picture his road to fatherhood as he still deals with the remnants of his estranged relationship with his own father, Jeremy Bieber. "I'm scared because I know how it feels to want your father in your life and how damaging it is when they aren't. My dad isn't a deadbeat. I think that's a big misconception. He was immature, and I understand it now, but I don't think that erases how that felt for me. I don't want my child to feel that. I want to be present, so I'm learning from people I know who have their own kids."

Bieber, who became a teen pop sensation at the age of 16, is honest about his feelings, but it's not hard to see he can get stuck in his own head. It's impossible to know what's behind his eyes—the pressures of young fame, failed relationships, struggling connections with his parents—but his pain is heartfelt and potent. "I think it's hard to trust people," he tells me, eyes panning to the sky. "And that was definitely something I struggled especially hard with after my last relationship. You can put so much of yourself into someone and get nothing from it, but I think Adira's been so supportive—and we've both been through a lot of different things—so we can find our strength in each other and build each other up."

"