XXVIII - Stoking The Magic

The shed fell silent as Thomas tagged the ending onto his friends' tale about him. Having watched them retell it, it was clear these weren't the same engines I remembered from the pages and screens of my youth. Their bickering over the tale, disputing details, reminded me of three old men recalling adolescent antics.

"Anyway," Thomas broke the silence, "That's the story they wanted to tell."

"I'm not quite sure about 'master of the branch line'," Toby prodded Thomas' dignity, "By that logic, both me and Percy mastered it before you did."

"Shhh," Percy grinned, "Don't mock him. Thomas was a slow learner."

"Slow! SLOW!!" Thomas' scowl sharpened, "I'll have you know-"

"Storytime's over!" Anne stepped into view of the blue engine, "We'll have no more of this argumentative nonsense." She eyed the other two engines. "From anyone."

Thomas' scowl remained unchanged, but Percy looked sullen, and Toby slightly abashed.

"A good tease every now and then is fine," I looked for middle ground, "As long as it's in keeping with the company, and respectful."

"Agreed," Anne nodded, "I think we're done here."

"So soon?" Percy spluttered, "But you only just got here."

"We need to get back to the harbour," Anne said, "Sorry I was delayed. I wish I could stay longer."

"So do I," Toby agreed.

"Speaking of teases, Anne, it does feel like you do that sometimes," Thomas muttered perched lips.

"How so?" Anne's eyebrow arched.

"You come every year, oil and polish me, then leave me to gather dust again," Thomas explained, "It's like you're preparing me to go out, without ever actually letting me. It's been so long since I've seen my branch line..."

"Ah..." Anne paused, "I can see why it appears like that."

"It's not deliberate," Thomas retraced his words, "But what's the point of being a polished engine, ready for service, if I never go anywhere? I don't want to become a vintage, private museum piece, or a collectible. I'm still the same Really Useful engine I used to be."

"I think I know what you're saying," I stood up, "You want to see the world again."

"I wanted to see the world, any of it, when I was a younger engine," Thomas looked at us, "But this branch line, and the rest of Sodor, became my world. I'd do anything to see it one more time."

I looked to Anne. She knew what I was thinking. She shook her head. "No. I swore to be his caretaker. For my father, and grandfather."

"He's not only a machine," I smiled, "He's a living engine. You're caring for his body, but his soul is asking for the same treatment."

"It's too late for the rest of us," Toby backed me, "Let him run. For all of us."

"B-but what about coal? And water?" Percy asked.

"I think we can cover that," I kept my gaze on Anne's face. There was no confusion in her eyes. Only conflict.

"If we leave him on the quayside... If we get that far... He'll rust solid before I can make it back next year. He'll be immovable."

"Put me in the new, erm, well now old, sheds by the dockside station," Thomas suggested.

Anne's hand gestured towards Percy and Toby. "But that would mean leaving-"