XV - Edward The Great

This story has been rewritten from notes taken during Edward's recital. It is now stylised like the classic Railway Series. To be told, exactly as he's always wanted.

October, 1940

There was once a time when Sodor didn't have any blue engines. Edward remembers when he was painted black, along with Gordon and Thomas. The Fat Director said scary things were happening on the mainland and beyond, and that the new liveries were to keep them safe. Edward, Thomas and Percy got on with their work as if nothing had changed. But the big engines complained, so much so that Edward was pleased to get away from them down his branch line.

One afternoon, Edward was resting at Brendam Docks when the dock manager came to see him. "The ferry that's just arrived is full of injured men who need to get to the hospital. Please give them a gentle ride."

"A whole train full of injured passengers," Edward gasped, "Don't worry. I'll keep a good eye on my speed."

The dock manager left, but Edward wondered how so many people had become hurt. He asked his driver.

"There is a great war going on," his driver mumbled.

"Oh my!" Edward gasped, "Another one! Where?"

"England, Europe, Africa. And it looks like it could spread across Asia too," said the fireman, "We've gotten off lightly so far, but that could change any day."

"I remember the first one," Edward added, "Well, I remember passengers talking about it."

"This one is worse," said his driver, "Not only are there submarines in the seas around the island, but there's planes that can travel hundreds of miles and drop explosives from the sky."

"That's terrible!" Edward wheeshed, "My goodness."

His driver and fireman left it at that. Edward waited for his passengers to get on board. It took a lot longer than usual, and night was soon upon them. "All set," his driver told him, "We can set off once we get the signal."

Suddenly, an eerie, wailing siren rose in volume across the docks. Workers sprinted around, shouting and screaming. Edward recalled hearing the alarm during tests, but this didn't feel like a drill. "That's the air raid siren!" he heard his driver shout to him.

The dock manager ran over to them. "Get that train out of here now!" he yelled, "I've set the points. Forget the signal!"

Edward felt his wheels begin to turn as his driver started him up without a whistle. In the distance, the drone of an airplane began to approach. His fireman had said the war could arrive any day. Instead, it was at night.

Pulling with all his might, Edward tried to get up to speed. He felt a duty to get his train of injured men up to the hospital.

I'll keep them safe, I'll keep them safe.

He pulled away, leaving the docks behind him. As the dark countryside approached, flashes of light burst from behind as he heard the explosives drop. The ground's quakes fizzled through his wheels and axles. For an instant it was as bright as day before him, then immediately back to night.

The siren drew quieter behind him, but the droning of a propeller continued to draw closer.

Rattatatat, rattatatat.

Whooshes of wind whizzed by. Edward dug deeper for more speed, but knew his ride would get bumpy. "Driver, what do we do?"

"We're being shot at!" his driver cried, "Go as fast as you can!"