Chapter 1 - Malise

The bonfires were probably the best part of the coven. They kept the cold out that raged through the forest. I'd long ago stopped expecting any warmth from my 'sisters' - my fellow witches. So, instead of moving to them, I crawled closer to one of the fires. 

It was still better than living out on the street, waiting to be caught by witch hunters. Their fires weren't so friendly.

"Malise?"

I raised my eyes to the witch before me, Sister Estelle. "Yes?"

"Mother Zaleria wants to see you."

"Now?"

"No, I left my warm, comfortable spot for fun. Yes, now."

I pushed myself up, my gaze lingering longingly on the fire. But if Mother Zaleria called, one obeyed. If not, the pyres were a merciful way to go out. "I don't suppose I get to ask why?"

Estelle's eyes glimmered. "I wouldn't be able to answer you. But by the looks of it, someone's deeds are about to catch up to her."

"It was a mistake," I spat, and I instantly regretted it. Only guilty people get defensive. 

"It was a mistake that shouldn't have happened. And if I were you, I wouldn't make my situation worse by leaving Mother Zaleria waiting."

I nodded, biting the inside of my lip. I should be grateful that I was allowed to live here, to call this my home. I had my fellow witches - sisters - and food and I wouldn't find myself in a witch trial, at least not by accident.

But that was just the thing: I was allowed to live here. And those with the power to kick me out weren't in my favor anymore.

I followed my sister through the castle ruins that we called our home. Most of the walls were still standing, and with a bit of witchcraft, it wasn't that uncomfortable. More importantly, the surrounding woods and hills made it easy to defend. Most humans had gotten so scared of these woods that they never set a foot in it, and thus, our coven was safe.

The nicest space in the castle was, of course, reserved for Mother Zaleria. The old burned down carpet had been replaced over the years, the furniture was a little worn but still elegant, and a fire crackled lively in the heard. I resisted the urge to move closer to it. Here, every movement, every look, was judged and assessed. And I could not afford any more bad impressions.

"Malise, child," Mother Zaleria said from behind her desk. Behind the oak wood, she reminded of the noblemen that wanted to see us burn. I never mentioned the similarities to anyone. Though, of course, Mother Zaleria was looked much younger than them. Unnaturally young.

"Mother Zaleria." My voice echoed here much more than in other parts of the castle. And with just the three of us in the room, every word seemed so much louder.

Mother Zaleria gestured for Estelle to leave. I almost wished she'd stayed, but I scolded myself in my head. This place was for strong witches only.

"I assume you're not surprised I summoned you," Mother Zaleria said. The fire reflected in her eyes, making them harder to read. "Can you tell me what I called you here for?"

I straightened my back. If I was about to be punished, I wouldn't take it like a weakling. "I lost a child. I failed to bring her to safety."

"Not just a child. One of our own. A witch. She could have found sanctuary with us, but because of your... incompetence, she is now in the hands of humans."

"They caught me by surprise. The child chose the humans over us." Too defensive. "I tried to convince her to come with me, but she did everything in her power to escape."

"Of course she did.  Humans possess only one form of magic: the art of spinning lies. And a dark magic it is. They had their claws deep inside our sister's head."

"They did, Mother."

"Which is why you had to bring her to me so I could cure her. So I could break the humans' spell."

"I failed, Mother." I kept my eyes down. Whatever was about to follow, it couldn't be good.

"You failed, yes. You took our sister's chance at safety away from her. We will try again in the future, but until then, she will live among the humans." She wrinkled her nose. "As for you..."

"Maybe she'll find her way to another coven." Those words shouldn't have left my mind. And yet, I realized too late that I was saying them out loud.

"Another coven, you say?" Mother Zaleria stood up from behind her desk, her dark gown flowing around her. She slowly moved towards me, every step a nail in my coffin. "You think any other coven would be a good alternative to our sisterhood?"

"No, Mother. My apologies. I wasn't thinking." I tried to swallow, but it only hurt my dry throat.

"Indeed you weren't. Any other coven would leave its sisters to burn on the pyre. Only I can keep you safe. You should make sure to remember that."

"I will, Mother."

"Good." She brushed a long finger against my brown hair. It wasn't smooth and shiny like hers, but more like hay soaked in black tea for too long. I'd long ago stopped trying to make it look good. "I care about all of you," Mother Zaleria said softly, but close enough that I wouldn't be able to miss a word. "I don't want to lose any of my precious children. That's why I'm going to give you one last chance."

I hoped she couldn't hear the breath I let out.

"Two sisters, living in a cottage in the woods far away from people. One of them is sick, which is a nice excuse for all of the uncommon materials they buy. Materials used for witchcraft."

"Are they witches in hiding?"

"One of them. Our spy noticed that only one of them uses magic. If she is, indeed, one of our own, you must bring her to us. To her home."

"I won't let you down."

She granted me a smile, but I knew those never came for free. "For your sake, I hope you don't. Or you can learn what life is like without me to protect you." She strode back to her desk, leaving me frozen in place.  "Go now, my child. You have a sister to save."

"Yes, Mother Zaleria." Whoever that witch was, I'd bring her home. Whether she liked it or not.