Chapter Eight - June

"I think I'm in love with you, Y/N."

. . .

When you opened your eyes, you saw darkness. You panicked slightly, not remembering where you were. Shifting a bit, you felt a weight on your body. Ocean was curled up with his head resting on your stomach. One of his legs was draped over yours, and one of his hands was still holding your own. You suddenly realized that your other hand was buried in his pale-blonde hair. You slowly retracted it, and, being careful not to wake Ocean up, you gingerly tried to slide out of the hold he had you in. 

"Mm," he murmured, still asleep. He grabbed your hand tighter and brought it back closer to him. "Don't go."

Heat rushed to your face. You almost gave in until you thought of the fact that Dr. Monroe was almost surely at the hospital and that you needed to get to work. Don't forget that this is entirely unprofessional, you reminded yourself. It slightly alarmed you that you had taken so long to think of that. 

It took a while, but eventually, you wriggled out from being partially underneath Ocean and made sure you looked presentable before heading out into the hall. It was empty, save for a few nurses passing through, but it usually was. Even though the lighting was all-natural, it was harsh and hurt your eyes to look at. Squinting, you stepped into the elevator, taking it down to the first floor. As Dani took notice of you, she waved you over.

"Was last night okay? It's freezing in the infirmary."

"Um, yes," you flashed an unsure smile at her. "I wasn't too cold. Pretty warm, actually."

"Are you going home to change?"

"Right, I-"

"Y/N, there you are," a male voice called from the left of the lobby. You turned around to see Dr. Monroe standing in the doorway of his office. "I need to talk to you."

You gulped. Your thoughts were racing. Did he know? Was he going to fire you? But you just nodded and followed him into his office. Once again, you were sitting in one of the upholstered chairs in front of Dr. Monroe's desk, an anxious feeling in the pit of your stomach. He reclined in his leather office chair with a creak, adjusting his thick reading glasses. 

"So, um, sir, what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Right," he started, exhaling sharply. "I'm concerned you may be... becoming too emotionally involved with your patient."

Your stomach dropped. "You're not firing me, are you?"

"No, of course not," he replied quickly. "I'll admit, you've made brilliant progress with Ocean. I'm only afraid he might be getting overly attached to you."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that you should keep in mind your professional boundaries as Ocean's caretaker."

You waved your hands around frantically. "If this is about last night, I didn't mean for that to happen. It was a harmless accident, really."

"Just make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm sending someone with you while you're with Ocean for a few days, and I'll consider possibly giving you additional patients since you seem to have more time now."

You had stopped at your townhouse, and you didn't even pay any mind to the fact that Andie had taken some of the furniture that you had paid for. As long as all traces of Andie were gone, it didn't matter to you. You made a mental note to deep clean the house. 

Clouds began to gather in the sky, and you were glad you were back inside the hospital before the rain started. You pulled up the sleeves of your high-necked sweater while you waited for the nurse who would accompany you to give Ocean his breakfast. You were surprised when a brunette man approached you, saying that he was the nurse in question. You internally scolded yourself for having stereotypes so ingrained in your mind.