Chapter Thirteen - June (2)

(TW - fire, death, a little blood)

"Why don't we ask Y/N what she thinks?"

. . .

You hoped that June might deny Ocean's request to prevent any more conflict, but instead, he turned to you expectantly. "Y/N?"

"I'm sure there's a compromise we can make here," You offered hesitantly. You were trying not to upset either June or Ocean, but it was proving to be harder than you thought.

"What do you mean? You're either coming to Penn, or you're not." You knew exactly what each answer would entail. Each option would make one of them happy. It was like having to choose between the two men themselves. "And after that, we should talk about you and Ocean."

You inhaled sharply, a little annoyed, but you didn't oppose. You were certain that June wouldn't let the topic go no matter what you said.

"I'm-" you started, but didn't continue. The internal dispute you were having with yourself was visible on your face, and both June and Ocean could see it. Ocean gave you a pitiful expression that almost resembled a sad puppy dog. June crossed his arms and clenched his jaw in irritation, noticing the look Ocean was sending you. The silence was suffocating as you tried to sort out your thoughts. What did you want to do?

"I'm sorry, June. I can't go to Penn with you," you said at last.

June's face contorted in disbelief, and he shook his head. "But you can."

"No, I can't."

"You mean you can't leave Ocean, right?" he snapped. "Because, what, you're in love with him?"

Ocean's eyes perked up at June's words. You had to refrain from raising your voice. The hallway you were in was still empty, but you could hear occasional footsteps in the corridor it connected to.

"No, nothing like that-" you glanced over at Ocean. It almost looked like he had taken a physical hit. You knew by now that you truly loved Ocean, but it wasn't like the way he felt about you... was it? You didn't have time to even contemplate that at the moment. "Is it so bad that I care about my patients?"

"Y/N, I thought- you do love me, right?" Ocean interjected quietly. June scoffed and threw his hands up in an I-told-you-so way. You squeezed your hands together, preparing for the worst.

"Of course I do-"

A "What?!" came from June. You went on, ignoring him.

"Just not in that way, and we all know what I'm talking about."

"Oh, please, elaborate," June prodded.

His entire stance softened when you responded, "The way I love you, June," without thinking. You and June hadn't been dating long enough for one of you to say that they loved the other, and June remained speechless for a second. Ocean, on the other hand, glowered.

"Then why won't you come to Penn with me?"

"I need you to trust me when I say I would, I really would," you paused. "If I knew Ocean was going to be okay."

"Since when does he dictate your life?"

"Since I took him on as my responsibility."

You saw him thinking it over, and then an idea seemed to strike June. "Well, what if he was referred to another doctor?"

"What? He's my patient."

"Not after I show Dr. Monroe everything Ocean's been writing."

"Don't you dare," Ocean hissed, taking a half-step towards June. He hadn't said much throughout the entire ordeal, but he was following every word. His fists were so tight his knuckles were turning white.