36- Secrets

You had fallen asleep in Chase’s arms so you didn’t hear anyone let themselves in your house, but when your bedroom door creaked open, you jumped out of your skin. Nessa stood in shock, staring at you and Chase and trying to decide in a flash which direction to run. Luckily you’d thrown on his t-shirt before cuddling up to him, but it was obvious as he laid under you in his underwear what you’d done. 

Nessa: “I’m so sorry

Nessa: “I’m so sorry. You said come over and I remembered the garage code and I’m- Oh God- I’m sorry.”

Chase sat up pulling his jeans back on:
“It’s cool Nessa, we just fell asleep.”

You: “It’s better that it was you instead of my parents.”

Nessa: “True. I can go downstair-”

Chase: “Nah, you’re good. I need to get home and catch up on some homework since I didn’t go to the last hour. You girls have fun.”

He bend down and kissed you sweetly with one hand on each cheek before whispering:
“Keep the shirt, you look hot in it.”

Once you were alone Nessa pushed you and squealed:
“Oh my God!! Spill it. How was it?”

You: *playing coy*
“What are you talking about?”

Nessa: “I know I didn’t walk in on half-naked just cuddling so you better start talking. I can’t believe you lost your v-card and I didn’t even know you had a new boyfriend.”

You: “Well in my defense you were too busy sleeping with my last one to notice.”

Nessa immediately recoiled in shame realizing how much had changed in the last month and a half since Valentine’s Day.

You: “Ness- I’m sorry. That was a low blow. I meant what I said that I wanted to move on.”

Nessa: “You have no idea how sorry I am. That night was the biggest mistake of my life that I keep paying for.” 

You: “Talk to me… What’s going on with you?”

Nessa: “Well for starters, I guess I’m out of the closet. I told you and Jaden but he told Mads and Josh has been running his mouth.”

You: “You told Josh?”

Nessa: “He’s just making up stuff to ruin my reputation or save his, I don’t even know but I stopped denying it so now pretty much everyone is going with it. It’s fine though. Hiding who I am is the least of my worries.”

You: “What else is going on?”

Nessa: “I-”

Before she could continue, Mads walked in and flopped on your bed:
“I’m never gonna find a prom dress UGH!”

You: “Mads, Nessa and I were actu-”

Nessa shook her head no, cutting off your statement. It was obvious she wasn’t ready to talk about whatever was going on and was relieved to have Mads interrupt. 

Nessa: “Prom isn’t for 2 weeks, don’t stress.”

Mads: “I just feel so much pressure to find the perfect dress. It’s going to be all juniors and seniors and I have to look so much more mature if I’m going to fit in.”

You: “I know what will take your mind off of it… what if we have a sleepover? I can call Avani and invite her if you’re cool with that. We’ve gotten pretty close and I think you guys would get along.”

Mads: “Sure, I’ll text Sab too!”

*NESSA’S POV*

She watched her best friend pull on her shorts and rush downstairs to find snacks while on the phone with Avani and really hoped this sleepover worked. She’d never really gotten along with other girls and this was her chance to change that. 

Mads: “Nessa, you know it wasn’t me who spread the rumor that you- uh- liked girls, right?”

Nessa: “No, I know it was Josh. He’s just guessing because I rejected him and that just has to be the only reason anyone would reject him, I guess.”

Both girls broke out into laughter until Nessa’s tone turned a little more subtle:
“You know I don’t like Jaden like that right? I’m so sorry for what happened. I don’t even have an explanation.”

Mads: “Well I figured as much with the whole being gay and all. You’re more likely to like me than my boyfriend.”

Nessa: “I wouldn’t say that. Honestly it was just a crush so please don’t feel uncomfortable or anything.”

Mads: “Wait, what?”

Nessa: *covering her face in embarrassment*
“Oh God. I just figured Jaden told you that too. I promise it’s not a big deal. Please don’t be weird.”

Mads: *blushing as she scoots closer to comfort Nessa*
“No- I’m not- Hey… Nessa… It’s okay, I promise. We are good.”

Nessa: “Thanks Mads for being so cool about this. I just don’t want it to change anything because I really don’t need to lose any more friends.”

Mads: “Never

Mads: “Never.”

Avani, Sab, and you all walked in carrying handfuls of snacks as Nessa nodded to Mads in understanding.

*END NESSA’S POV*