Chapter 40

Aizawa was beaming at Katsumi. She hadn't seen him look this happy in a long time.

"And? What type of hero do you want to be?"

"A kind, compassionate hero who can be depended on. A hero who helps those who are like me and show them that there is still kindness and love in this world. I'm not sure what avenue this will take me down, but I want to be a hero who loves those around me and protect them with everything I am."

The proud look on Aizawa's face made Katsumi perk up. He pulled Katsumi forward into a hug, and she smiled warmly as she wrapped her arms around him.

"I'm so proud of you, kid. More than you know."

When they pulled away, Katsumi wiped her eyes so she wouldn't start crying. Seeing the man she called her father be so genuinely proud of her filled her with so much joy she could hardly take it.

"We'll look into some options for a potential work study. I'll get back to you when I can. There's a meeting I'm going to be part of soon, so it'll probably be after that."

Katsumi nodded. She understood he was still a busy man. 

She said her goodbyes to Aizawa before heading off towards the dorm, her heart feeling a lot lighter. Aizawa was always so supportive of her. She hoped to become a wonderful hero one day to make him proud. 

When Katsumi got to the dorm, she saw Mina walking across the room, and as soon as the pink-haired girl saw Katsumi, she bounded over to her.

"There you are! I was looking for you!"

"Sorry, I had to talk with Aizawa," Katsumi smiled. "Did you want to talk?"

Mina nodded her head. Katsumi took in a deep breath, looking around. She only saw a few other students meandering around the common area, but she still aired on the side of caution.

"Can we go back to my room?"

"Of course," Mina smiled. "Wherever you're most comfortable."

The two walked to Katsumi's room, and right as they were entering, Katsumi caught movement from her peripheral. She looked over to see Bakugo, who was walking toward the couches with his hands in his pocket. He looked back at her, seeing Mina go into her room, and he gave her a small nod.

Taking that as encouragement, Katsumi smiled back at him before she walked in her room, closing the door behind her.

With a sigh, Katsumi sat on her bed. Mina sat beside her, a small smile on her face as she patiently waited for her friend to start.

"At this point, I honestly don't even know where to begin," Katsumi shook her head. "I can't seem to keep up with everything anymore."

"I get that," Mina let out a small chuckle. "Just take your time! Start wherever you feel like you need to."

Katsumi sat for a moment, debating on what to tell Mina and what not to tell her. She didn't think she wanted to rehash everything so soon, even though she felt Mina could be trusted with the whole truth. But for her emotional well-being, Katsumi didn't think it was a good thing to just spill everything out again.

"I don't really have parents," Katsumi decided to start. "Aizawa is pretty much my dad. Unofficially, of course, but he's technically my legal guardian. My real parents abandoned me when I was young because of my quirk."

Katsumi anxiously looked over to Mina. Her eyes were sad, but she was quiet and listening intently. 

"My quirk isn't just darkness. I've been lying about that. It's called the Natural Elemental Quirk," Katsumi showed her ten aspects to her quirk on her fingers, watching as Mina's eyes grew wide in shock. "I have control over all of these; or at least partial control. But I had always hated my quirk and was afraid of it because nothing like this has ever been seen before."