PROLOGUE

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

P R O L O G U E

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

It had been a week since Magnus Bane decided it best to stay a while longer in London, a week since he had found himself a flat not too far from the Institute in which he knew lay one out of two of the heartbroken people he was keeping an eye on. A week of utter silence that made even himself feel a bit on edge.

It stumped him how quickly everything was able to turn back to normal, the demon attacks already back to their usual rate for he could see the flash of seraph blades flashing in alleyways every so often while during the day everyone just went about their business. It was as if London had never experienced all that had come to pass a week prior, but Magnus knew the effects that had been left, the stain that was unable to be washed away no matter how hard anyone scrubbed.

Heartbreak was messy after all, especially when it occurred between two people who were obviously in love with each other.

Magnus had attempted to see how the young Herondale girl and Fairchild boy were doing, but seeing as he was still a Downworlder, he had his limits. He knew Will trusted him, but imposing on one's life over something as fragile as a broken heart was something not even Magnus knew how to approach. This was a family matter, something Will and Tessa could help their daughter heal from considering all that they had gone through.

Maybe that's why Magnus hadn't been expecting the knock upon his door so late that night, why opening the door to see the young Herondale girl drenched in a way that screamed she didn't care one way or another whether it rained on her or not had surprised him.

Her hair clung to the sides of her face, water streaking down her face like tears. Her skin was a ghastly white, her hands balled into fists at her side as if she were in pain and that was the only source of relief.

For a moment, he saw someone else. A young boy with the same dark hair and longing look in his eyes who had come to him in a similar state all those years ago.

"Willa Herondale," Magnus said in surprise, his eyes flickering over the girl as he tried to assess just what was going on. He had a sneaking suspicion as to why the girl was here, but he pushed it aside. "What on earth are you doing here and in such condition? Did your father send for me? Has something happened at the Institute?"

"No, no, no," Willa rushed out, her voice strained in a way that tugged at Magnus' own heartstrings. "No one else knows I'm here. I need your help with a. . .personal matter. You've helped my parents before and I—" She trailed off as if wanting to say something but thinking better of it. "There is no one else that I could ask."