Final Words

Long chapter ahead...

"I hope you still like Menudo."

JB broke the silence. Seulgi answered without thinking.

"Wala pa rin naman akong ganang kumain kaya hindi na rin importante yun."

That shut him up. Seulgi noticed how the atmosphere got even more depressing so she mentally slapped herself.

"Sorry," mahina niyang sabi.

"Okay lang," ngiti ng katapat niya. "We need honesty today."

Seulgi nodded. They both agreed to eat first before finally talking. Useless pa rin naman kasi hindi rin siya makakain ng maayos dahil sa kaba at sama ng loob.

A few minutes passed and they both barely touched their food. There was a long silence, the unsaid but felt tension making them wary of starting a conversation.

"I'm sorry," JB finally said. "Seulgi... I'm really sorry."

She opened her mouth to speak but there were no words coming out. Umiwas siya ng tingin para hindi makita ang mga mata ni JB.

"For all the things back then. For growing tired of our fights. For not fighting for us. For meeting someone else."

And as if what he said didn't hurt her enough, he added more.

"And for not wanting you back now."

Napapalatak siya nang may isang luha na tumakas sa mga mata niya. And because one was able to escape, the rest that she desperately tried to hold stupidly went down her cheeks too.

She sniffed and tried to smile.

"Sino bang hindi mapapagod sakin..." Tumawa siya nang mapakla. "I was so stupid for not being understanding."

"Ako rin naman," buntong-hininga ni JB. "I wished I tried to understand you before."

She pursed her lips and nodded, eyes watering for the nth time.

"Yeah. You didn't try. Hindi ka sumubok na intindihin ako."

"Seul, napagod na ako sa lahat--"

"Kaya ka sumuko?" She felt so pathetic when her voice broke at the end. "Kaya ang dali lang sayong um-oo nung in-open ko ang breakup sayo?"

JB fisted his hands and pointed out, "You broke up with me."

"You were going to ask for it sooner or later kaya inunahan na kita," iwas ang tingin niyang tugon.

"Bakit ba ang hilig mong magdesisyon nang hindi muna ako kinakausap?"

JB was becoming frustrated, all the memories he wanted to free from his head came rushing back in.

"When you're clouded with your emotions, you see nothing but you and your feelings," he smiled bitterly. "Hindi yung mga paratang mong nambababae ako ang pinakasakit para sakin, Seulgi. Iyong sa oras na nasasaktan ka nakakalimutan mong boyfriend mo ko. 'yon. Yun yung masakit."

She couldn't answer back so she bit her lower lip.

"In the first place, how could you even think that I would cheat on you when I was in love with you for four years straight?"

Was. That didn't slip away from her ears.

"Wala ka ng oras para sakin, JB. I didn't want to get to the point that I would have to beg for your time."

"Seulgi, hindi nalang tayo estudyante noon," iling ni JB, leaning back on his chair. "For God's sake, we were adults starting on our career, working our ass off so we can have money to pay for our bills. Hindi ba't sinabi natin sa isa't-isa na susuportahin natin yung mga pangarap natin?"