The King's Road

I watched as Jon and Robb trained with their swords on the ground. I was standing on the balcony father and mother watched us from not long ago. It was fun watching how my two older brothers tried to beat each other but failing, seeing as they were both equally good.

"I thought you'd be with your sisters watching the Lannister's", said my father from behind me. I turned around with a small smile on my face. He joined me in watching Jon and Robb by the railing.

"No, this is much more entertaining", I replied laughing softly. I was holding my direwolf pup and he softly nimbled on my gloves. Out of all his siblings, he was the smallest, the quietest. "Shouldn't you be getting ready for the hunt with the King?", I asked after a moment.

"I should be", replied my father and sighed as he turned to me. "He offered for me to be Hand of the King", continued dad as he leaned on the railing and looked at me. "You've always had something to say, what do you think I should do?".

"Well it is certainly a great honour, and if the king rode out this far North you must be the only one he is considering. But it does also mean that you have to permanently move to Kings Landing, leaving everything and everybody here", I state and look at my brothers just as Robb got the upper hand and beat Jon.

"So you think I shouldn't take it?", asked my father.

"I don't think you have a choice", I reply, looking at him with sincerity. He sighs heavily as he looks at the horizons. 

"Your mother isn't happy", he breathed out.

"When is she really?", I ask back rhetorically and look down at Winter.

"Your mother just wants what's best for you", argued my father gently and I rolled my eyes.

"Since when is knowing how to sow dresses, capes and shirts what's best for me? What is best for me is doing what I love", I argued back. He put a hand on my shoulder. 

"You have to learn to love what is good for you, even if you don't want to", said my father, squeezing my shoulder and leaving me on the balcony alone. I sighed and looked back down at my brothers who were now looking at me with concern. I shook my head at them, silently saying that it's nothing.

As I walked down the steps, and sat down my pup I saw my father climb on a horse, and leaving with the king through the front gates. My mother was certainly busy with ordering everyone around on what to do. So I decided to take my father's advice. Learn to love what was good for me. Sword fighting, archery and horse riding for good for me. It kept me sane through all the madness my mother was trying to put me through.

I went to the blacksmith, requesting a sword. Jon and Robb already had one, and I had already outgrown sparring swords.

"My lady", greeted the blacksmith as I approached. "What can I do for ye?", he asked with the Northern accent showing.

"A sword, simple but strong.", I explain, trying to visualize what I want. The blacksmith nodded and began to work, grabbing a piece of metal and beginning to melt it.

"What are you doing here?", asked Jon from behind me as he joined me. He waved over another blacksmith and explained that he wanted a thin, somewhat short blade with a golden handle. Not a dagger but not a real sword.

"I should be asking you the same thing", I reply as he was finished and we began waiting. "What is that sword for?", I asked.

"Arya. It's nothing much, just a parting gift", replied Jon as he looked at me. "What's that sword for?".

"Nothing much", I quote him from before. "Father said that I needed to learn how to love what is good for me. So I'm learning", I continue with a smirk on my face. Jon chuckles as he watches the blacksmith pour the smoldering hot metal into the shape.