𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐄
"𝑊𝑒 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙 𝑓𝑟𝑒𝑒 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑤𝑒 𝑒𝑠𝑐𝑎𝑝𝑒 - 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑖𝑓 𝑖𝑡 𝑏𝑒 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑟𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑝𝑎𝑛 𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑒."
—𝐸𝑟𝑖𝑐 𝐻𝑜𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑟

𝐈
— 𝐷𝑖𝑒𝑔𝑜 —

𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐆𝐎'𝐒 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐓 open, and his head pounded from the pain that rocked his skull as his body trembled.

It only took him a second to realize that his arms were bound by a straightjacket in a crossed position that was more than uncomfortable and that he was trapped inside of a small, beige-padded room.

He tried to collect his thoughts as he rolled onto his back. What had happened? Why was he in there?

As he fully regained consciousness, it all came back to him. Fucking Five . . .

Whatever. He didn't need the little twat's help to get out of the hospital, he could manage to escape just fine by himself. And that was what he was going to do now.

With a small groan, Diego managed to get onto his feet, though his head spun and his stomach grew nauseous. Whatever they had injected him with was still clearly running through his body.

He stumbled his way to the door and peeked through the small slot of glass to see that there was no one guarding the hall, and he groaned again as he rested his head against the padded wall. He knew what he had to do next, and he was not excited.

With a sigh, he walked a few steps over to the wall and began to ram his right shoulder into it with as much force as possible. After a few hits, his shoulder cracked as it was dislocated, and he let out a loud cry of agony as pain shot through.

He had to stay focused, he reminded himself. Ignoring the burning pain in his shoulder, he lifted his left arm over his head and untangled it from the crossed position it had been in before stepping his foot over the string that was connecting the two sleeves together.

With all his might, he pushed down on the string with his foot while simultaneously pulling his back out in an attempt to take the jacket off, though it failed. He leaned back against the wall for a moment, panting heavily before trying again, this time successfully.

With an exhale, he let the straightjacket fall to the ground and walked back over to the door, breathing laboriously as he peered outside the tiny window once again.

Once he was sure the coast was clear, Diego pulled out the pen that he had tucked away in the back of his pants before. His right arm now not able to be of any help, he used his teeth to unscrew the end of the pen before spitting it onto the ground.

He then used his teeth to pull out the ink chamber, keeping it wedged between his teeth as he lowered the rest of the pen to the doorknob and inserted it into the keyhole. He kept his eyes on the hallway as he jimmied the pen around before he heard the satisfying click of the lock, and spluttered out the ink chamber and threw the pen to the side.

He gently closed the door behind him, looking both ways before beginning to head down the right of the hallway. He trailed his good hand along the wall as he staggered forward, and continued to ignore the pain in his right as he headed straight for freedom.

Suddenly, the lights dimmed before flashing a deep red, causing Diego's nerves to spike. Was this for him? Still, he continued on, glancing behind him every couple of moments.

He soon reached the end of the hallway and pressed his back against the wall as he peered around the corner.

He gave a groan as one of the guards came down the hall and saw him, and he breathed out, "Ah, shit."