|5.29| Out of the fire

***

SHE DIDN'T TRY CONCENTRATE for the rest of her examination. Her mind was on Harry. As the examination went over, Grace didn't waste anytime to find Ron and Hermione and the three together went to find him. Rushing up the marble staircase, they were met halfway by a very pale looking Harry.

"Harry!" said Grace at once. "What is it? was it a vision?"

"What happened?" said Hermione looking frightened. "Are you all right? Are you ill?"

"Where have you been?" demanded Ron.

"Come with me," Harry said quickly. "Come on, I've got to tell you something. . . ."

He led them along the first-floor corridor, peering through doorways, and at last found an empty classroom into which he dived, closing the door behind Ron, Grace and Hermione the moment they were inside and leaning against it, facing them.

"Voldemort's got Sirius."

"What?" Grace exclaimed.

"How d'you — ?" said Hermione.

"Saw it. Just now. When I fell asleep in the exam."

All the colour drained from her face, as she stared at Harry, hoping for this to not be true.

"But — but where? How?" said Hermione, whose face was white.

"I dunno how," said Harry. "But I know exactly where. There's a room in the Department of Mysteries full of shelves covered in these little glass balls, and they're at the end of row ninety-seven . . . He's trying to use Sirius to get whatever it is he wants from in there. . . . He's torturing him. . . . Says he'll end by killing him . . ."

He moved over to a desk and sat down on it, trying to master himself.

"H-How're we going to get there?" Grace asked them, her voice and hands shaking.

There was a moment's silence. Then Ron said, "G-get there?"

"Get to the Department of Mysteries, so we can rescue Sirius!" Harry said loudly.

"But — Harry . . ." said Ron weakly.

"What? What?" said Harry.

"This is my dad we're talking about, Ron!" Grace shouted.

She could not understand why they were both gaping at her and Harry as though they was asking them something unreasonable.

"Harry," said Hermione in a rather frightened voice, "er . . . how . . . how did Voldemort get into the Ministry of Magic without anybody realizing he was there?"