Two

To most people a sunrise is a beautiful phenomenon that occurs each morning signifying the start of a new day. A clean slate. I on the other hand despised the way the sun would creep into the cracks of my curtains each morning and blind me as soon as I opened my eyes. It was a rude awakening basically screaming into my face that I had to face another day with my family. It may sound dramatic and I suppose it could be worse, I could be out of the street, starving and cold. I understood that. However, it didn't make me want to get out of bed anymore than not understanding that would have.

As per usual my alarm blared in my face reminding me to get my ass out of bed and get to work. Now that I had finished the hell that is year twelve I had more shifts at a local café near the beach. After successfully scraping myself off my bed and managing to find a pair of black jeans and my black work shirt I pulled on my trusty boots and headed downstairs just in time to grab an apple and head out to the door. The walk to work wasn't too long but long enough that I always ended up puffed by the time I got there.

"You seriously need to let me give you a lift here," Loren told me, as she always did, when I reached work. I gave my best friend an annoyed look.

"You live that way," I said pointing in the opposite direction of my house "To say picking me up is out of the way is the understatement of the century."

"You're so stubborn it kills me," she laughed tossing an apron at me. I just shrugged and followed her into the shop. Her parents owned the small café, hence why I had a job here. I loved her parents, her mum Denise was the one of the kindest people I'd ever met, and just like Loren she didn't look at me like I was the plague.

"Hello Sofia, my sweetheart," Denise greeted me, like her daughter she had bright red hair that complemented their fair complexions and baby blue eyes.

"Hey Denise, where do you want me today?" I asked.

"Waitressing please darling," she smiled handing me a notepad.

"No worries."

I spent most of the morning waiting tables and cleaning up after customers. Some of the mess was disgusting but I enjoyed being at the café more than hiding in my room at home. At work I felt like a normal human being not a walking disappointment. It was all going very smoothly. That was until Chelsea and her gang showed up at the café claiming the big table with a beach view to themselves. I glanced over to Loren to see she was busy with another table, leaving me with no choice. I put it off for as long as possible, taking my time to put plates in the dishwasher before realising I had to get it over and done with. Sighing I walked up to their table.

"Hi, Welcome to Jupiter Café, what can I get you?"

"Oh hello Sofia," Thalia, the ring leader of Chelsea's little group, looked up at me with her signature patronising smile.

"Thalia."

"I will have the garden salad with extra tomatoes and spinach and for drink I would like a iced latte with no cream please and half a teaspoon of soy milk." I jotted down her order restraining from rolling my eyes at her additions. I took the rest of the tables orders realising that they were intentionally making their orders more difficult. I finally reached Chelsea and she smiled not so innocently up at me.

"I'll have a water,"

"That's it?"

"Yes, I don't think you should be questioning the customer."

I rolled my eyes and walked away into the kitchen thoroughly confused at her order and worried they may have something planned. But I did what I always did I ignored them and kept my head held high.