Thirteen

"How are you feeling?" I ask Chelsea carefully the next morning. We hadn't had much time to speak after we made up yesterday.

"I'm fine," she answered as she buckled up her sandals.

"Fine is my least favourite word ever," I replied hoping she would give me a bit more to go on.

"Mine too," she laughed softly. I didn't laugh though, she was worrying me and we were going home soon. I didn't want to go back to the way we were when we got home. I needed things to be different. I didn't think I could cope if we just reverted back to how things have always been. Chelsea straightened up fixing her dress, stopping when she caught the anxiety etched on my face.

"I'm okay, I promise," she said loudly as if the volume of her voice would finally convince me. When I didn't reply she sighed dramatically but I could tell she was happy I was so concerned. When I told her I cared I meant it and I think maybe she finally saw that now.

"Okay," I said cracking a smile to show her that I did in fact believe her this time. "I'm starving, I think I'm going to head out to breakfast, you coming?"

"Yes, there's a plate of bacon and eggs with my name on it," she gushed, nodding eagerly. I threw on my thongs before leaving the room and making our way to the breakfast buffet. I was going to thoroughly miss the buffet when we left tomorrow. Having unlimited choice was something I had come way too accustomed to and going back to Florence's chef's gourmet, yet inedible, meals wasn't something I was eagerly awaiting to return to. We took a short cut across the pool that was already teeming with kids in their floaties smiling excitedly at their parents as the swam around by themselves - their first taste of freedom I supposed. It reminded me of the time my mum taught me how to swim at our neighbours pool. The pride on her face when I swam from one end and then back to her on my own was something that rushed into my heart and inflated it. I smiled at the memory. All memories of her were bittersweet. So much joy intertwined with devastating sadness.

"Oh, girls!" a cry from behind stopped us and broke me away from my memories. I turned and saw Amanda Jacobsen making her way towards us. Her over-sized Coco Chanel sunglasses and leopard print throw-over suddenly looked a bit ridiculous and I couldn't bring myself to smile fully at this unwanted interruption. I was still fazed by our interactions last night and felt a nervous knot forming in my stomach as she approached us.

"How are you lovely ladies on this beautiful day," her chirpy and kind voice almost put me at ease but her smile was just as fake as always.

"We're great, just heading to breakfast," Chelsea answered kindly.

"Yes, the most important meal of the day," she nodded at Chelsea before her gaze locked on me. "Sofia, dear, I was wondering if maybe we could have a chat, I just wanted to share something with you." The knot in my stomach twisted restlessly as I nodded knowing there was no way out of this. However, I will admit to being more than just a little curious as to what she wanted to tell me.

"It's fine Chels, I'll catch up to you."

"Yes, dear, we won't be long," Amanda assured her. Chelsea nodded happily and walked off in the direction of the food. I watched her leave before turning back to Amanda once she was out of earshot.

"Yes?" I asked flatly.

"Come now," Amanda, said her voice still cheerful but almost strained. I followed her down and around the pool area before she sat on one of the empty pool chairs gesturing for me to do the same. I sat down opposite her folding my hands in my lap and attempted to breathe steadily in order to calm my racing heart.

"You know I was about your age when I met Mr Jacobsen," she began taking off her sunglasses and placing them in her lap. I raised an eyebrow, completely confused to as why she would be telling me this and why she thought I would care. "I was nineteen, so just a year older than you, and I met David Jacobsen at a university party. I know so classy," she giggled. I looked at her with a questioning gaze, I was still left in a state of utter confusion but she didn't seem to care and continued anyway. "My parents ran a successful law firm in the city and were well-known for it. His parents ran the company he runs now and they were a very high-class business family. Anyone who was anyone knew about his family. So when I saw him at that party, knowing we were both of the same status we hit it off straight away. We were inseparable. Oh, I remember what its like to first like someone. It feels so exciting and there is so much hope." She paused, her tone almost reminiscent and excited but I saw through it. I was beginning to get an idea of where this may be going, but I prayed I was wrong. She smiled again before continuing, "But there are always bumps in the road you see. We basically started - as the kids call it now - 'going out' with one another about a week later. But we didn't want to tell our parents. I was in particular scared that they saw his family as a threat and wouldn't want me associating with them. I was right, because when we finally did tell them, they weren't happy at first. But then my dad got sick and my eldest brother took over the law firm and my father experienced a change of heart. He said that he couldn't think of a more perfect match for me than David. We were both of an affluent status; we both were in the middle of getting good degrees and being on the same sort of career paths. Our ambition inspired him. All the important things lined up suddenly and he gave us his blessing.

"You see, the blessings of parents in situations where they live such high-profile lives is very important. David and I have worked hard for the past thirty years to try and keep alive the legacy our parents left to us. The work it has taken to maintain the success we have had - well you just wouldn't believe it. In fact, the business has never been better. People look up to us. We are public figures after all. So I think you might be able to imagine how bad publicity would be detrimental to our success when we are striving to reach the peak of our potential. Any little hiccup must be avoided." It was clear the hiccup she was referring too and I didn't want to take such crap from her. However, I needed to hear her say it. I bit down on my lip hard just to keep my mouth shut.

"Sofia," she said when I hadn't responded. "You have had an incredibly hard life. I can't imagine what it must have been like to lose a mother so young and then have a father that never wanted you, and a step-mother who feels such immense pain whenever she looks upon your beautiful young face. It was the worst kind of betrayal she suffered. I feel sorry for her, for what your father did. You represent that betrayal for her, and if people knew your story, you'll represent it for everyone. It is something that haunts you. You take it around with you everywhere you go."

I was drawing blood from my lip, but I was hardly aware as the taste filled my mouth. My eyes narrowed on her. I don't know how she could even fathom speaking to another human being like this. I could take hardly take it from my family - but at least it was their business. This was none of hers.

"You're a bitch," I said dryly.

"Oh, Sofia," she laughed. "Then there is your questionable manners, but let's focus on the bigger picture."

"And what would that be?" I asked sharply, anger lacing my tone.

"Once we all return home to our normal lives, you and my son will not be romantically involved in any way. In fact you won't even be friends. You'll be barely acquaintances because of a business deal between your fathers."

"Who died and made you queen of the world?" I quipped. There was no way in absolute hell on earth that I would ever let her control my relationship - even if it was with her son.

"You will not destroy the empire that we have built as a family. One day Declan will take over the family business, fulfilling our legacy - and you will not be the girl standing next to him when he does."