Chapter Nine

Third Person's POV:

If Maryam had the chance to murder someone and not be punished for it, then she would definitely choose Adam. It was a big thing to say since she had Shehroz and Abdullah as a good option too. But, over the past few days, she felt like Abdullah wasn't so bad after all.

He wasn't the perfect husband but it seemed like he was trying a little to. Though it wasn't enough, it was better than nothing. He would drop her off and pick her up from school whenever he got the time and the other day, he actually treated her to ice-cream.

Despite that, both of them rarely talked. Their conversations mostly consisted of; "How was your day?" or, "Did you like dinner?" or Abdullah would usually ask, "Did that Adam guy do anything else?"

Of course, Maryam didn't tell him that she had yelled at him and humiliated him in front of his friends and a few other students that were at the scene. And she didn't tell him about the rumors either. Maybe it was because they weren't at that level of friendship yet. Or maybe because he tried to look interested but his mind was always elsewhere.

It didn't bother her, really. She liked the peace and quiet she had and whenever she thought about what would happen if she had a normal married life with Abdullah, she would get shivers crawling over her body. Not that she didn't want it...

She would remember the time when he told her that he loved someone else. That made her feel insecure so she just thought that it was better that they remained that way, minding their own business even though it was haraam to be in a relationship, especially when you're married.

Maryam groaned as she turned another page of the big fat Chemistry book that was placed in front of her. "I don't get this at all!" she finally spoke up, startling Cornelia who had her own book opened in front of her.

"I know! It's too hard. These reactions have my head spinning." she pointed at one of the lines of the book and complained. Maryam nodded in agreement. Then she looked around the quiet library once and turned back to Cornelia.

"I think it's the depressing atmosphere. We should study somewhere else. Besides, the school's empty except for these students here." she said. Cornelia nodded. "I think so too."

"You can come to my house!" she suddenly said out of the blue. Maryam frowned at her. "Your house? But..." she trailed off, thinking about it. Cornelia was quick to grab her friend's hand and squeeze it. "Oh please don't say no! I'll tell Alex to make cookies, sandwiches, pizza—you name it!" with every word she said, the excitement in her eyes grew brighter.

Maryam tried to look away but the look in her eyes had captured her and she couldn't move her gaze from her." I... Uh..." she wasn't sure if it was appropriate to just show up at someone else's house. What would her parents think of her?

"Please?" she dragged the word just to make it harder for Maryam to decline the offer, giving her puppy dog eyes and even pouting her lips.

Maryam sighed, giving in. "Okay. But I'm staying for only two hours." but Cornelia immediately shook her head. "No way! You're staying the night. We'll have a sleepover and I'll make sure to make it the best night of your life!" she started planning everything, grabbing her phone and typing away.

Maryam tried to protest but she didn't let her so she just gave up. "Let's go, then?" she smiled at her and she nodded quickly, standing up. They got out of the library, meeting the quiet and dark corridor. It had been an hour since their classes ended and they had stayed behind to study. Maryam needed it because she had joined late and she needed to refresh her skills.

Cornelia called her driver which obeyed her order and was standing outside the gate just ten minutes later. "Corn," Maryam addressed her friend by her nickname once they were in the car. "Yeah?"