Chapter Thirty-Four

——Third Person's POV——

The silence in the courtroom was heavy, almost as if a murder had taken place. The few number of people sitting in the background looked at each other with confused and curious expressions. The big stage set up for the family court judge was standing in all its glory and fame. A small desk was placed right beside it for the assistant.

A small bench stood in front of the stage with its back facing the crowd where Maryam's lawyer, Mr. Javed sat in his traditional black and white tux under a black cloak. When Abdullah entered the courtroom, people started whispering and hissing amongst each other except Maryam.

She stared intensely at him, almost giving him a death threat. She fully thought of him as her criminal. As her oppressor and no power besides the power of Allah could make her rethink her decision. Her brown eyes traveled to the people in the back and she spotted Cornelia and Damian.

Cornelia's assuring smile made her gain confidence and she stood up straight in the witness box. Abdullah walked with heavy steps towards the corresponding box, his eyes not leaving Maryam's. With such audacity, he dared to remain so calm and brave as if he hadn't done anything wrong.

When the whispers grew louder, they were silenced by the loud bang made by the judge striking the gavel. She threw a firm and threatening glance at the people in the room and with an intimidating voice shouted, "Order, Order!"

Once the sharp silence returned, Maryam felt her throat go dry but she didn't once let her expression soften. "Let the judicial procedure begin." the judge ordered, leaning straight on her chair.

The lawyer stepped up and made the introduction in favour of Maryam. He ended his speech with, "I would request the court's permission to ask Miss Maryam her stance on this."

The judge nodded. "Permission granted."

Maryam cleared her throat, leaving her eyes from Abdullah for the first time. Abdullah felt like his death call was being made when Maryam started to speak. He never imagine that her soft, smooth voice that sounded like a nightingale could sound so dangerous and cruel.

"I want to demand Khula from my husband of one year, Abdullah Saleh. And my reasons are pretty simple." she glanced at him before turning back to the judge. "Our relationship wasn't perfect from the beginning but him cheating on me was the last call." a gasp was heard from the crowd but Maryam was too busy to notice it. "He had been doing it before but now that we had made up, it was something I couldn't stand. I can't help it and want to be freed from this marriage."

The judge, a mature woman in her fifties with brown short hair and a pair of glasses hooked on her nose, averted her gaze to Abdullah. She looked unfazed as if it was a matter of daily basis for her. "Mr. Saleh, everyone in this room can sympathize with Miss Maryam and understand where she's coming from. What do you have to say in your favour?"

Abdullah's presence was intimidating and pressurizing. He looked dead serious, with his green eyes a deep dark shade. He had dark circles under his eyes that showed he hasn't slept well in the past four days his wife—the new love of his life, was absent.

"Your honor," he said in his deep voice, catching everyone's attention towards him. "I don't want this marriage to end. I'll admit, I've been the worst husband a man could be, to her. But this time, it wasn't my fault. She misunderstood everything. I don't even know what happened and before I could regain my senses, she had already been a victim of a huge misunderstanding. I tried calling her but she didn't let me speak and the only reason I am here right now, is just to prove to her that I can't even think of cheating on her and that I'm innocent."