Hazel

The library. My real home.

I smile as I turn a page of my book and let out a contented breath. Madds came one night ranting about this hot firefighter she met. He apparently saved her car, and her life, and paid for all the work done on her old car. All in one day. Either she was drunk or high, I didn't believe her. He sounded too perfect for me and she just rolled her eyes.

"Why are you always so harsh on guys? That's why you're always single."

"Not always!" I said. "I...I have my priorities."

"And you're saying I don't?"

"No!"

She giggled and started towards the shower. "You're lucky I'm in a good mood."

Since that moment, she's been out of the room more than she's in it. I hope it's because she's focusing on her studies. Although, she's still really excited about taking that Gifted Exam.

I prefer to distract myself with books. Seriously. Books are the only things you can depend on and they will never fail you.

As I disappear more into my medical world of the human anatomy, I get slapped back by the sound of the chair moving in front of me. I look up from my book and see a tall boy. His dark blonde hair is parted to the side and his eyes show nerves as he says, "I'm sorry. Can I sit here?"

"Oh. Sure." I sit up straight and watch him take a quick seat in front of me. He then takes out a charger and his phone to plug it in on a section of the table.

"Thank you," he gently says. "I just really need my phone for an assignment and there were no more of these--"

"It's okay," I kindly say. "Don't worry about it."

He does a much more relaxed smile and I suddenly recognize him. Oh! LibraryBoy!

But I hide my surprise as he quietly starts writing his notes from his phone. He doesn't seem to recognize me.

So I go back to my book and try hard to fall back into my daydream. Nothing works. My mind keeps drifting off to this boy in front of me and when I look up, I see him staring at me.

He jumps and quickly looks away. "I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to stare. You just...you look like someone..."

I do a soft chuckle. "I'm the girl that helped you find that book a few weeks ago."

"Ohh! Right! You're that girl that called me LibraryBoy!"

I do a quiet laugh and gesture for him to quiet down. "Yes. That's me."

"Sorry," he says with a tight smile. "How are you? I've been thinking of you since that day." I furrow my brows at this and he jumps again. "I mean! Um...I meant that you're unforgettable! You know! No one calls me LibraryBoy!"

A girl further down frowns at us and shushes us.

"Yes yes," I whisper. "I understand. Quiet down!"

"Sorry!" His cheeks turn red and he shakes it off. "Sorry. Um...I really didn't mean to--"

"It's okay. I get it," I say. "And to answer your question, I've been okay. I noticed that you were looking for a book on Psychology. What are you majoring in?"

His eyes dark blue eyes brighten as he says, "I want to major in Psychology but to help people at the hospital. Something around the social work stuff."

I can't help but smile. I always enjoy meeting people who might be colleagues of mine someday. "That's great! I'm majoring in Biomedical Sciences with a concentration in Neuroscience."