2: The Boy Who Got Sadie

Sadie discovers that a stranger was able to read her journal entries, causing her great frustration. Hello, privacy!

22nd of July, 2020

Bauan, Batangas

Hello, Sadie.

How are you? Apologies for writing too late. And sorry for not introducing myself first. I suppose you're getting the creeps right now, but don't fret; I'm not some weird stalker.

I'm Ethan—and I've read your diary.

Just so you know, I didn't really want to peek inside this pink notebook of yours. I caught a glimpse of it when I was about to take a nap in the Kubo. I mean, who wouldn't? It's literally twinkling because of the glitters, and it was very noticeable even from afar. I told myself, Oh, some girl left her notebook in the garbage; what could be her problem?

Well, all I wanted was to take it and leave it to some lost and found stall, but guess what, there's none of those in here. It's either you leave it there, or you steal it, end of story. I tried to peek and look for a name or an address, but I ended up reading half of the notebook before getting your address, and I can't believe the whole time I was reading your entries—that it was your name. Sadie.

I know. I know what you're thinking, that I'm invading your privacy. I'm really sorry for reading half of your entries. They were, uh...interesting, and every finished entry, it seems like the next pages were luring me to open them. I won't lie; the reason I didn't tell my full name and address was that I'm afraid you'll sue me or something.

Anyway...how are you, Sadie? Why did you leave your diary here? Just so you know, I've read the most recent entries of yours, so I have no idea if you had reasons from your past experiences. Only that you've given up and that with what's happening these days, you've lost hope. I know how disheartening the recent events have been, but hey, I think there are still many things for you to be grateful for. Little things such as realizing that you have an umbrella in your hand when the rain starts to pour. Wait up! Don't get mad at me yet because that's not me being insensitive; I'm just trying to let you see even a bit of a silver lining here.

Cheer up, Sadie. Whether you like it or not, I'll keep you company. Let's wipe that frown out your face, okay? I'm warning you; I'll be sending you handwritten letters every week, so go grab the mail before anyone sees. And bad luck to me if someone else is reading this at the moment—hey, if you're not Sadie, stop right here and give it to her!

That'll be for today, and you can certainly look forward to the incoming weeks.

Oh, and Sadie? If you want to write me back...address it to where you left your notebook. ;)

Yours,

Ethan

If flipping the table was an option, and Mama Susan wouldn't throw a fit the moment she hears a loud crash from one of the rooms upstairs, Sadie would've done it. But she can't, can she?

While letting out a few deep breaths, Sadie delays her tears; she has no idea whether it's because of deep embarrassment, frustration, or happiness—wait, what? No! Those can't be tears of joy! Who would feel cheery upon discovering that some random stranger got to read half of her diary entries? 

God knows what he'd discovered from those writings, and God knows how she badly yearned for the ground to swallow her right there, right now.

​Sadie harshly ruffles her hair as she paces back and forth across the room. Distress had enveloped her body, and she didn't know what else to do; was she supposed to write back? Or would it be better if she doesn't respond at all? 

But he'll be sending her letters for the next few weeks, and besides, why not confront the stranger who meddled with other people's privacy?

"Argh!" she kicks the chair across her, only for Sadie to feel a sharp pain on her toe. "Oof!"

She massages her foot as her toes become slightly swollen. Her tears finally race down her cheeks, and now all Sadie does is plump onto her bed as if it's the last thing she'll ever do. Well, it's the only thing she wants to do, now that someone had discovered half of her written secrets.

"Aaaaaaaah!" she screams against the pillow, her frustrations becoming muffled.

"I hate you! I hate you; I hate you, I hate you! Aaaaaaah!"

At the moment, she decides to cocoon herself under the sheets as if hiding from some monster. But after a few hours of trying to sleep and failing miserably, Sadie abruptly removed the blanket that lay on top of her and began stomping towards her study table. On top of the wooden table was a blank paper supposedly for an essay, but she writes down something else.

29th of July, 2020

Rodriguez, Rizal

Hello, Stranger.

"Wait," she halts. Sadie suddenly takes another piece of paper and hastily writes down the first few words for her letter. Clicking her tongue, she begins to read a few lines. "Greetings," she says, her mind racing for all the possibilities. "...Ethan."