Prologue: Goodbye, Sadie

Dear Sadie,

Just so you know, I love you to the core. I enjoyed the years I've spent with you, and I hope you feel the same with the stories I've written to your very sleek pages. 

I'm sorry I haven't written in a while—I wanted to, but with what's happening with the world right now, even lifting a pen seemed too difficult for me. 

I miss the life I've lived before all this pandemic came into the picture. You know, after-school movie nights, small McDonald's lunch dates with my best friend, plumping on the bed after a long, tiring day, and it feels like it's the best thing ever? 'Cause it's the best thing ever! 

I thought I'd be able to amble along the pavements in university. Well, I tried to grow sunflowers for myself too, but I failed miserably. And I failed me big time, too.

This will be the last time I'll be writing to you, Sadie. I can't take this life anymore. I've had enough, and I'm giving up. I guess I didn't need to write down all my fantasies and daydreams; I guess I only wasted time. And as the world's situation worsens, I think I'm losing the only hope I have left.

Now it's only me, myself, and I. 

And this hell of a problematic world. 

Goodbye, Sadie. 

'Til we meet again.