Chapter Twenty-Seven

Nikoli leaned back and almost toppled over. He came awake with a start and glanced at Lily, but she was still unconscious. They had her in a medically induced coma. The cranial fracture turned out to be more serious than they'd originally thought, and she'd been rushed back into surgery last night to repair a bleed.

At least the machines looked the same as they had before he dozed off. He hadn't left this room since they'd brought her back in. Adam was gone to get them both coffee. He'd offered to bring Nik back some food, but he wasn't hungry. Food held no appeal for him when his entire heart lay in a bed, unmoving and fighting to stay with them.

He talked to her all night, he and Adam both. The doctor said he didn't know if she could hear them, but they agreed it couldn't hurt. Nikoli didn't want her to think she was here alone. If God answered his prayers, she'd never be alone again.

His phone rang, and he pulled it out of his pocket. He answered it on the second ring. "Papa?"

"Son, Kade called and told us what was going on."

The sound of Ronin Kincaid's voice gave him strength he didn't even know he needed. "She's bad, Papa. Her brain is bleeding."

"I'm sorry, Nikoli. Do you want me to come there?"

The fact his father was offering meant more to him than just about anything. The Marines might not be so amiable to one of their officers picking up and flying to the States, though.

"Thanks for offering, Papa, but Kade's here, and Conner's on his way. I'll be fine."

"Kade said you fucked up, boy."

"I did. She told me she loved me, and I lied to her. I said I didn't love her. I let her walk away, and then last night..." He closed his eyes and fought the tears. "The last thing she saw was me with my hand up another woman's shirt. She ran from the house, and that's why he was able to take her. She's here because I'm a fucked-up bastard."

Ronin was quiet for a full minute. "You done fucked up good, boy, but that's not what's important."

"It's not?"

"No, it's not. What's important is how you make up for it. You love her?"

"More than my own life."

"Then show her, boy. Show her how much you love her every single day. Keep telling her. Be persistent if she doesn't want to talk to you. Don't give up. Hell, if I'd listened to your mother, she and I would never have made it past 'hello.' It wasn't easy convincing her to marry me less than a week after meeting me, but I did it, and so can you. You're more like me than any of the others, Nikoli. You have my charm and my stubbornness. Use both to your advantage. Now, stop talking like you've already lost and get your ass in gear. I didn't raise a quitter."

Nikoli sat up straight as his father talked, reacting more to the tone of voice than to the actual words. Ronin was a military man through and through and had never had qualms about using a drill sergeant's voice on his children. But it was the kick in the ass he needed. Maybe Kade saw how despondent he was and called their father for backup.

No matter the reason, he was glad.

"No, sir, I am not a quitter."

"That's what I want to hear, boy. Now, tell me about this woman of yours. Your mother is asking."

Nikoli smiled. Of course his father would blame it on his mother when in truth he was probably more curious than she was.

"She's beautiful. Remember when I was little, and Mama made us watch Snow White?"