Chapter Eleven

Mikaela Martin | Present

"Liam, you did not need to come shopping just because you're my date," Annalise reminds our very bored friend, who's currently sulking on a velvet department store bench while Annalise, Sarah, and I try on dresses for fall formal. Ramsey High School's most important (and only) first semester event is only five days away.

"It was this or church," he grumbles.

"That's very unholy of you," Annalise chastises. I doubt Annalise has ever been to church, so she probably shouldn't judge, but I'm staying out of this one and keeping that thought unspoken.

Sarah emerges from the dressing room in a crimson high-low dress with lacy sleeves. "I think this is the one," she announces.

"Damn, Sar-bear!" Annalise shouts. "You look hot. Those are some sexy sleeves."

Liam and Sarah roll their eyes. "What do you think, Micky?" Sarah asks.

"I love it." I'm being serious. Unlike Liam, I don't mind waiting an hour for my friends to model countless dresses. They gave up asking Liam his opinion a while ago. His answer to every question was that they looked fantastic and they should buy it so we can move onto lunch.

I chose the second dress I tried on. It's simple, a little black A-line number with these awesome sort-of-sleeves. They're off-shoulder and hang around my upper arms. I fell in love with the dress the second I looked in the mirror. It has the perfect subtle V-shaped neckline for me to wear a pendant necklace.

"I'm just going to model two more, and then I'll decide. I promise," Annalise proclaims, spinning on her heel and flouncing back into the dressing room.

She and Liam are going to fall formal together. As friends, obviously. Neither of them is going out with anyone right now. Liam probably would have asked one of his tennis teammates or something, but Annalise basically bullied him into being her date.

Annalise and I have been friends since first grade. I don't remember how we met; she's just always been there, part of my life. She was just as loud and intense back then, and I was just as quiet and reserved, so I think it was an opposites attract type of situation. I have more in common with Sarah, and Sarah is a lot more intuitive than Annalise, so she knows when to stop pushing my limits, but Annalise will always be my best friend. We have this deep, indescribable bond that's stronger than any other friendship I've ever been part of.

"This one?" Annalise steps out of the dressing room donning a skin-tight shimmery black midi dress. She's beautiful, curvy in all the right places, and she's stunning in the dress, but it looks more like something she should wear to a party than a school dance.

She frowns. "Micky doesn't like it."

"I like it!" I protest. I can't think of an unoffensive way to phrase my opinion. She does look beautiful, and Annalise has never been afraid to flaunt what she's got.

"I think it's a little too tight," Sarah says softly.

Liam lifts his head from his phone. "Ew, Annalise. I can see your underwear."

She huffs and returns to the dressing room. A minute later, she's twirling around in another black shimmery number, this one a touch looser and longer.

"Wonderful. Spectacular. Amazing," Liam deadpans. "Ready to go?"

"I like this one," I tell her.

"Same," Sarah agrees.

"I think I'll buy both," Annalise decides.

"If you can afford two dresses, you can afford to buy me chicken nuggets," Liam calls after her.