Chapter 42

I sat there staring at Amelia, not knowing what to say to her. Damien quickly moved his hand away from mine. I can't believe I had lost track and forgot about her.

"I already paid and got our food-to-go. I'll be going home now if you care to join me and Eudora," She said and walked away, holding Eudora.

Amelia and I never fought, but I felt like this would turn into one when I got home. "Sorry about that. Amelia was not expecting you to be here." I sighed, rubbing my temples.

"I should be apologizing. I didn't mean to ruin your date with Amelia. Especially on your birthday." Damien said.

"No, it's okay. Amelia can wait, and I already ordered another drink. It would be a waste if I didn't drink it." I smiled at him. I knew Amelia was mad, but I was more disappointed that she would lie to me about the jewelry she would buy me. "It's been four years. We should catch up."
~
We talked for about two hours. We talked about how stressful it is being Alpha. He would travel to other packs for meetings or discuss rogue attacks. He said he was the only Alpha that would come alone, everyone else brought their mate with them, but he didn't mind it. It made me sad for Damien to go to meetings alone, everyone else thinking you're mateless.

"Many Alphas will introduce me to their daughters, thinking one of them could be my mate," Damien laughed.

"You think you'll ever find another mate?" I asked.

"No. We only get one, mate." Damien replied.

"I see." I trailed off. I wish there were a way for us to break it so Damien could be happy. I would hate for him to be alone forever.

"Amelia and you should come to the wedding. Be my guests since Mike couldn't make it. My cousins will be there; they're intimidating, so it's okay if you say no."

Meeting Damien's cousins? That sounds scary, especially since Amy told me his cousins were also all Alphas. "I'll ask her. I've never been to a wolf wedding. I did miss Amys and Melissas and would love to see one."

"It's very different from a human wedding. It's how two mates accept their mate bond before the Moon Goddess and in front of the whole pack. When the Alpha and Luna do it, they get blessings from the pack accepting them as their Alpha and Luna. Does that make sense? I have been drinking a lot." He said with a chuckle.

"Sorta? I think I know what you're trying to say." I laughed. "Did you get the blessings from your pack members?" I asked, taking another sip of my drink. I was feeling a little buzzed. But this was my third drink, and he was on his eighth.

"I did. Shortly after, I took over. I would've preferred it if you were there by my side. But you told me you would stay with Amelia and that I should find someone else." Damien said.

"What? What are you talking about?" I raised an eyebrow. I never told Damien I was going to stay with Amelia. "Amelia told me you wanted me to stay with her because you wanted a she-wolf, Luna."

"What are you talking about? I've never said that to Amelia. I didn't want anyone else. I wanted you by my side." Damien replied. I was so confused. He's telling me that I texted him telling him to move on, which I never did. And I'm telling him that Amelia told him he wanted somebody else. What the hell was going on?

"Holy shit. Did Amelia deliberately keep us apart?" I muttered, feeling hurt. Amelia was my best friend. How could she do that to me? She knew how much I loved Damien.

"That does sound like something Amelia would do," Damien said, taking a deep breath.

"Would you folks like the check?" Our waitress said coming over. She kept her eyes glued on Damien. "I can do split checks?"