32. Aesthetic Appeal

Mo Yixuan furrowed his brows. "I said, what makes you so attractive?"

"What do you mean?!" Su Shimeng's tone was indignant. "You, I—!"

"You're the inner disciple of a sect leader, but Iridescent Radiance Sect has its sights on bigger things than the jade trade," Mo Yixuan went on placidly, "You won't inherit the Su Clan's business and you're destined to live the rest of your life as a cultivator away from human beings."

"Cut to the chase," Su Shimeng sputtered, utterly at a loss.

"Right," Mo Yixuan began to summarize, "You don't fit a lifestyle down here. You're better matched with a Dao companion from the Middle Realms."

No no no, thats way too direct!

Su Shimeng could feel himself turning red as he half-gaped, half-glared at the other man. "What are you trying to say?"

"That you're beautiful," Mo Yixuan narrowed his eyes. "I've seen Old Madam Su in person, but I don't think she could compare even in her younger years. Your looks are out of this world."

Ba-dump.

"I-isn't that true for all cultivators?" Su Shimeng snapped, though his words came out as a stammer.

"No, it's different in your case," Mo Yixuan said. "Let me have a closer look."

Is he seriously coming onto me?

Goosebumps rose on Su Shimeng's skin as the other stepped forward. Immediately, he backed away and bumped into the chair, causing him to lose his balance. Shoot...!

But Mo Yixuan caught him by the wrist and pulled him upright, sending him crashing against the older man's chest. With a yelp, Su Shimeng pushed him away and darted to the center of the hall. "What are you doing?!"

Mo Yixuan blinked at him. "Helping you up."

"Not that, you bastard! Look, whatever you're thinking, don't even try," Su Shimeng snarled back, "I already have someone I like!"

"Oh." Mo Yixuan didn't know what to say for that. "Congratulations."

"And someday we'll be proper Dao companions, so that's the end of that!" Su Shimeng finished triumphantly.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Aren't you the one who made me stay behind to listen to your weird confession?"

"Confession?"

"Mo Yixuan!" Su Shimeng exploded. "Dammnit, don't toy with people just because you got rejected! We've only met for hours and you're already courting me? Are all Star Pavilion Sect disciples this desperate?!"

Mo Yixuan's expression suddenly hardened. "You thought I was trying to pursue you?"

Abruptly, the temperature in the room seemed to plummet as a heavy weight slammed into Su Shimeng's shoulders. He almost choked, but managed to shield himself at the last second and glare daggers at Mo Yixuan. "Get ahold of yourself! If you wreck anything in Su Manor, I'll make your sect pay for damages!"

Realizing his slip, Mo Yixuan held back the sudden burst of cultivation aura that had accompanied his flare of temper, but the icy atmosphere didn't dissipate. "You have a grave misunderstanding," he said instead.

"What am I supposed to think when you keep raving about my looks?" Su Shimeng didn't back down.

Mo Yixuan only frowned. "I was talking about the relationship between you and your sister."