46

"Tartarus?"

"That explains a lot. We never did see Adrien in the Underworld," Hades said, leaning back in his throne. "And that didn't concern you?" Dionysus looked at his uncle quizzically. "I just assumed my judges made... special arrangements for him. Not my business," Hades said, shrugging.

"Even if that's true, what are we going to do about it? It's hell," Piper let out desperately, her arms coming around her stomach protectively. "She has a point, are we talking abortion or what?" Ares asked, suspiciously twirling a dagger between his fingers. "If it's a host, it would still be an actual child," Artemis pointed out. "If its sole purpose was meant to be Perses' host then it would die if he were to be defeated," Hestia joined in. She then trailed off after saying "Maybe..."

"You're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting, are you?" Hermes asked, glancing over at his aunt. Hestia's youthful face didn't change, and the gods collectively sighed. "Okay, Hestia, who would willingly go to Tartarus?" Apollo asked, raising his eyebrows. "Send the traitor. A fitting punishment, yes?" Zeus suggested. "We'd still have to send someone without compromised loyalty. Someone to actually get the job done in the likely case that Annabeth Du Vel betrays us," Artemis pointed out.

"What about Kenneth, I'd love to get the boy out of my domain. Tell me, how does one be so opinionated while drowning?" Poseidon questioned. "I know I said 'without compromised loyalty' but at least that implies that they'd had loyalty in the first place," Artemis said, raising her eyebrows. "Why don't you make it a family affair and send the tin can with them?" Zeus suggested. Whether the suggestion was because the sky god thought Percy could handle it or was just a ploy to get rid of the son of Poseidon, Percy agreed. Going to hell could solve the Twenty. And, even though he told himself that this wasn't the main reason, he could find wherever Hephaestus was and maybe help him reform. Apollo had told him that Hephaestus had probably not reformed his consciousness, that there was no way to identify him but Percy could care less. "That won't be necessary, I'll go," Nico volunteered, probably mistaking Percy's silence for reluctance of going back to hell.

"All I have to do is defeat Perses, yes?" Percy spoke up, his voice breaking and reconstructing itself mid-sentence. "Then it will be unnecessary for anyone else to go. I'll come back if I need help."

"And if you fail?"

"If my body becomes uninhabitable my soul will return to the cold hands they slipped from. It wouldn't be the end for me, " Percy said, though that would be a lie. His soul would forever be attached to a specific piece of metal. And if his brain was damaged he'd be a different person entirely. Hephaestus had been making plans to make Percy sufficient even without his brain, but even his brain wrapped around something that could shatter his soul and Hephaestus wouldn't be there to give him emergency repairs.

Apollo could tell that Percy wasn't being truthful, but he allowed Percy to lie.

"I don't think it would be smart for you to go alone, " Apollo said instead. "Take those loyal to you. If you were to get stuck down there for whatever reason they'd be the ones to come get you anyway. Loyalty is loyalty. You could understand that."

"I agree. The daughter of death and the demititan--including the daughter of Perses-- will go with you, " Zeus said, probably not realizing how agreeable he'd been in this conversation. "Take the traitor and her son with you, they can work for their right to live. If in the end, you find it so, leave them in the Pit, " Zeus said, this time not suggesting. "The pit is not an efficient way to die, " Ares said, still twirling the dagger, the dangerous blade splitting the god's fingers.

Percy had only realized now, but the gods were getting more serious. The twin archers didn't argue, the god of wine was alert. Aphrodite leaned in on her goddess of war nature and the three sons of Kronos didn't butt heads. Hestia had more say, every god on the council was focused. Percy didn't know why. The death of their own? The realization that there was something that could kill them? Were they angry or scared?

"Then Clockwork will do as he sees fit, agreed?" Zeus said, saying the last word loud enough for the rest of the Council to hear.

"Death will wait on the other side of the doors to let you out. We can get you in, not out," Zeus warned.

"The part of the pit where the most dangerous Titans are held will be different--"

"--and worse--" came the almost silent input.

"--than the Tartarus you experienced in your youth. Understand?"

Percy nodded his reply.

"We will need words, Hero, " Demeter pushed.

Percy voiced his agreement in a voice that seemed foreign to him, but familiar enough to others that they didn't say anything about it. At his answer, Zeus turned to the demigod Council, who were more witnesses than a council at this meeting, and dismissed them with a snap of his fingers. While he snapped to dismiss the Council, the Queen of gods raised her hand snapped too, this time the demititans minus Amanda and Jasmine appearing in the spot the Council once was. Hestia briefed them, and only after she did so did Annabeth, Amanda, and Kenneth appear.

"We will supply you with everything you need, and then you will leave immediately. Understood?"

"I'm sorry, where are we going?" Kenneth asked, still soaked from his temporary underwater imprisonment. He was bound to the point he was immobile, forced in a stiff standing position. His question was ignored as everyone got situated.

Food, water, tools, ambrosia, everything they needed that was still able to be carried came with them. Weapons we're given freely to almost everyone, the three less trustworthy people not being allowed to get weapons. "Wait, Clockwork, we should bring Blair."

Who?

"Blair Evans? Death smoke girl?"

Oh.

Percy wanted to ask her how she knew Blair, then he remembered Blair was always in the company of a god since Percy didn't want to leave her anywhere. Hestia, namely. Jasmine also spent an ample amount of time with the goddess of the hearth so they would've run into each other. "If she wants to."

"Trust me, she will."

And what does that mean?

After adding to the already large amount of people --whatever happened to the rule of three?-- they were ready. Before they left, Ares pulled Percy to the side, his hand still clutching his dagger.

"Are you gonna punk out of killing them?" Ares snarled. Percy didn't answer, Ares didn't give him a chance, and Ares shoved the dagger into Percy's hand hilt first. Almost like he was giving the dagger to Percy.

"Take this with you."

Huh. This is odd.

"I don't want you to give it back. That can kill Titans, punk, and I mean reap their existence and utilize their powers," Ares stated. This behavior from Ares confused Percy, and he was unsure as to what his angle was. Again, the god of war spoke before he could ask any questions. "When you get down there, and you see Hephaestus-- yes, Hestia hinted heavily that you would look for him-- give it to him. It'll help him regenerate."

So... Ares was helping Hephaestus?

"What are you looking at, punk? He owes me something is all-- he took my horses and I can't find them so he has to come back and give them to me, " Ares defended his pride. Part of Percy felt like Ares begrudgingly liked Hephaestus to an extent, the other felt as though Aphrodite was telling him what to say to make Percy think that and not know that she wanted Hephaestus back. Either way, Percy accepted the dagger. "Don't let the others touch it, especially after you kill something with it. It can turn regular punks crazy, " The god of war warned.

"Okay, thank you," Percy said, though his gratitude had a question mark behind it.

Eventually, they were flashed away to the deepest part of hell, not knowing that some of them would not return.

...
Hi. Hoped you enjoyed this part. I know, I'm late. Really late.
Thanks for reading anyway though.

Anyway how are you?

What did you think of the chapter?

Share your thoughts!