Chapter 29: Isun

I laid awake that night, Morok outside the door. Raon was asleep, and Morok was ready to be there in a second if he woke up.

Rain beat against the roof.

Something tapped on the glass, so lightly I wondered if it was my imagination.

But no.

Tap.

I got up and went to the window.

Someone clung to the room outside, his face close to the glass. My eyes went wide.

I spun around, and opened the door. Morok glanced at me, and I motioned towards the door.

"I need a minute." I whispered.

He nodded, and I went outside, closing the door behind me. The rain was loud out here, and it sprayed my bare arms and legs. I shivered.

Someone dropped onto the threshold lightly. He pushed back a hood, revealing dark hair and eyes identical to mine.

"Lilya?"

I stepped forward, eyes wide. "Isun?"

He stepped forward quickly, and wrapped me in a tight hug. His arms were shaking. "I can't believe you're alive."

I pulled back, and grabbed his shoulders. "How on EARTH did you find me?" I hissed.

His eyes were wide. "There's no time. We have to leave, NOW."

"What do you mean? I want you to meet Raon, and Morok, and-"

"Everyone is dead."

I blinked. "What do you mean? Isun, you're scaring me."

"Lilya. Two days ago some strange elves wearing the Wild Elf ensignia broke into the palace and killed mother and father, and Iio, and Esal, and....and your nephew."

No.

No, this was a joke.

Someone was going to jump out, and everything was going to turn out-

"Lilya, I only lived because I wore chainmail. They carried darts, poisoned ones I think. Someone tried to shoot me with one a few days ago. Someone with wings."

"No." I backed away, but he grabbed my arm, fingers like a vise. "THis was their plan. Kill the royal family, steal the throne. You are in danger, and we NEED to go. Cilliria is chaos, and if we don't come back, there won't be a kingdom anymore."

I turned around. The house was dark. Then someone spoke softly, and something cracked against the wall.

Then the door banged open.

I caught a flash of white hair before Isun grabbed me, and jumped.

I screamed as we fell. After a moment, something jerked us to a stop, and Isun let the rope go, and we dropped to the ground.

"This way!" He grabbed my hand, and ran.

Vines and branches tore at me, rain blinding me. I thought I could hear someone following us, but I couldn't see to find out.

The roaring of water grew louder and louder, until the jungle stopped abruptly. A rushing, swollen torrent of water was a few feet away. Isun was already clambering into a tiny boat that bobbed at the edge. "Hurry up!"

I stopped, and turned around.

Raon...

I stepped into the boat, the rocking throwing me down to the bottom. He untied the rope, and we shot away from the shore.

I thought I saw a figure break through the jungle a moment after we left, but the roaring of water covered any noise, and I didn't hear Raon screaming my name as I left him.