Chapter 31: Feather

I sat in the lower level of the palace, chin resting on my hand. My mind wouldn't rest, even though my eyes were burning, and the crown on my head was giving me a neckache.

I cursed to myself and got up. The council room/throne room/everything room was empty, but I could hear steps in the hall.

I'd visited the bodies today. Made a speech. The words had felt brittle and helpless in my mouth. They'd been laid to rest beneath cold stone. Rain had washed away the scent of the flowers.

I wrapped my shawl closer around me, and left. The hall was dark and shadowy, so I moved quickly.

Every step I took I expected to hear soft footsteps behind me, but they never came. And I was frightened for what that might mean as well.

Once I was on the main level, I turned a slow circle. My chest had been tight for days, and I was beginning to accept that that was how it would be forever. The familiar walls and rooms were stale. Quiet.

There had been a lockdown ordered when I arrived, and now anyone who was unnecessary had been sent out of the palace.

I moved past the library, my sister's room...

The only sound was the whisper of my bare feet on the cold floor. It echoed up into the rafters.

I stood at the bottom of the grand stairs. Then, slowly, I went up.

At the top I turned around, but nobody was behind me. The guards were on the outskirts of the palace. But nobody had seen the Twisted since they'd...

Nobody had seen them. They'd ran.

I went to my room, and closed the door behind me.

The wind brushed my curtains, cold and damp. No sunlight streamed through them.

It was dinner time, but I didn't want food.

The sound of wings came from the window, quick and then gone.

I groaned and got up from the bed. Yesterday my balcony doors had been open, and a bird had flown in and beat itself to death on the glass. It was terrible.

I went to the doors, and something blew past my face, I whirled around, and caught it just before it fell to the floor. It was a feather, about as long as my forearm, and black. The slight scent of smoke drifted from it.

I turned around, and there he was.

His wings raised a whirlwind as he landed on the balcony. His face was shadowed, but a long sword was by his side. The black wings furled and he stepped into the room

I leaned forward, and slapped him.