Chapter 3

"Ah, I see you're admiring the females. Quite beautiful, aren't they?" Mix, the chief medical advisor, remarked, startling Chiss from his thoughts.

Swallowing the nervousness bubbling in his chest, Chiss turned away from Macon's resting form and nodded. She looked so peaceful now, a stark contrast to the terror-stricken face he'd seen three nights ago. Tears had streamed down her cheeks then, her fear palpable.

His brows furrowed as he caught his reflection in the mirrored surface. On Aturi, he had been considered handsome by many females. It pained him that Macon clearly did not share their sentiments. His finger grazed the sharp tip of his incisor, reminding him that, to her, he was indeed the predator she feared.

Mix, now examining Macon's chart, glanced up with a glimmer in his eye. "So, checking up on Commander Xane's female, are we?"

Chiss masked his surprise at Mix's pointed observation. "You know me, just trying to go above and beyond for the Commander," he lied smoothly.

"Well, I'll leave you to it," Mix said, moving around the corner to other sleeping chambers.

With Mix out of the way, Chiss turned his attention back to Macon. Her beauty was undeniable, even more so now that the puffiness of her eyes and nose had subsided. Her hair remained a tangled mess, testament to years of only having her fingers to tame her wild waves. He had so many questions about how he had come to imprint on this young female but no one to ask.

She was clearly off-limits, not that she would want him even if the Commander hadn't claimed her. He sighed in defeat, tracing one finger down the glass that separated them.

Commander Xane's voice echoed over his wristlet, jolting him from his thoughts. "We're landing in 6000 feet! Where are you?" 'Oh hell,' Chiss groaned internally, cursing in the human manner he'd picked up.

The landing was rough, but Chiss made it back to his station just in time. This woman was going to be the death of him, and possibly everyone else, if he wasn't careful. He needed to get a hold of his emotions.

Worse yet, the Commander had assigned him to ensure Macon settled in once they arrived on Aturi. His plan to head home and leave Macon with the Commander in the capital city was no longer viable.

It was time to collect her from Mix at the sleeping bay. He had allowed ample time for the human occupants to be roused and readied for their new life.

As he neared the sleeping bay, he passed several Aturian-Human couples headed toward the exit of the ship. His heart drummed wildly at the thought of holding Macon's hand, but he knew that wasn't the response he would get from her. She was a fighter.

Entering the bay, he saw Macon sitting in an Aturian-style dress in the corner of the room, nervously tugging at the hem. She hadn't noticed him approaching. Her composure surprised him; he'd half-expected her to be detained by multiple guards.

Suddenly, her eyes locked onto his. Her body trembled, a mixture of terror and undeniable attraction coursing through her.

Lust filled Chiss's eyes as he approached her, predatory in his movements. His gaze lingered on the exposed skin of her chest, watching her heartbeat beneath. His breath became ragged, mouth watering at the sight.

He shook his head to clear the daze and extended a hand toward her. "I'm Chiss, the Commander's third." He lowered his gaze, guilt gnawing at him for having imprinted on the woman the Commander had claimed. His hand remained extended until she finally took it.

"I'm Ma-" she began, but the sparks between them rendered her speechless.

She found herself on her feet, staring up into his lavender eyes, her face inches from his.

Mix cleared his throat, breaking the undeniable connection between them.