Chapter 4

She'd always known this was a possibility: to be taken, chosen as a mate

She'd always known this was a possibility: to be taken, chosen as a mate...or worse.

She hadn't missed the way her own kind had offered her, along with thousands of other survivors, as leverage to the aliens. That special broadcast had been the last thing her TV displayed before the world crashed. The image still burned in her mind, making the hair on the back of her neck stand on end.

She steadied her breath. **I'm okay... I'm still alive. If they wanted to kill me, they would have done it by now.** She repeated the thought like a mantra.

She took in the small group of human women sitting around the sterile room where she'd woken up. Most were still groggy, the aftereffects of whatever drug they'd used to sedate them evident in their glassy eyes and slow movements.

She had no idea how long she'd been out, but it felt like it could have been months or even years. She laughed bitterly at the thought, examining her fingernails. They'd hardly grown. If this was any indication, she hadn't been asleep that long.

The chatter in the room started to pick up as the women became more alert. No one seemed overly anxious or even worried. It was almost as if they'd expected to wake up here—wherever "here" was. Laughter rang out from her right, and she shifted to see a blonde girl laughing with two other women. Something didn't add up.

"Well, somebody's excited to get some alien lovin'," the girl to her left snickered, leaning slightly toward Macon. "Hi, I'm Jielly," she said with a smile.

"Macon," she replied, extending her hand. Her name felt foreign on her lips, as if she hadn't spoken it in years. Macon's questioning glance did not go unnoticed.

"I take it you didn't plan on a first-class trip to Aturi," Jielly said, phrasing it more as a question than a statement.

"Umm... not in the least," Macon exhaled, a nervous breath escaping her. At least the girl had confirmed her fears: she was being taken to an alien planet. A shiver ran down Macon's spine, and she let out a small gasp. How had she let herself get caught? She'd been so careful.

"Hey, it's okay," Jielly rested a reassuring hand on Macon's shoulder.

Macon looked the girl in the eyes. "You were okay being taken by them?"

"The Aturians?" Jielly furrowed her brows. Macon nodded slightly. "Most of us," she said, looking around at the group of women, "have lived on this space station for months, if not years. I personally have been here for the past three years."

"Against your will?" Macon whispered.

"Oh, no, of course not. I practically had to beg the Commander to bring me."

"Why?" Macon's shock was clear.

"Surely you know why. Things on Earth were horrible. We would have starved or been killed," Jielly continued.

Macon leaned back in her chair, trying to process what Jielly had said. These women would rather travel to an alien planet than carry on as topsiders. Macon finally considered the option. She too had faced plenty of hardships while trying to survive among the remnants. Maybe somehow this would be better.

She was startled from her thoughts as a thin male Aturian walked from behind a partition. She swallowed down her nerves.

"Mix!" The blonde from earlier squealed as she headed toward the male. Macon noticed the slightest pink hue on the male's otherwise ashen face.

"Jessica," he greeted. "You're first on my list. Ladies, I'll call you one at a time. The Commander has brought several attendants on board to prepare you for tonight's celebrations."

"That sounds wonderful." She clapped her hands in delight as she followed Mix out of view.

Macon's eyebrows furrowed as she turned to Jielly. "Prepare us? What celebration is he talking about?"

"Oh girl, relax. I promise it's all gonna be okay." Jielly was so sure of this that Macon eventually did relax. Well, as much as humanly possible.

One by one, the girls disappeared with Mix and didn't return. Finally, only Macon and Jielly remained.

"Looks like I'm next," Jielly said, coming to her feet and snapping Macon out of her thoughts.

"Will I see you again?" Macon asked hurriedly.

"Tonight," Jielly said in a duh tone.

"Oh!" Macon said in surprise. "Okay, see you then."

After a few minutes alone, Mix came for Macon.

"Ms. Macon," he greeted. "I take it your conversations have put you at ease. The Commander feared you might be..." He stopped as curiosity flooded Macon's face. "Clearly, you have taken to the situation." He said as Macon stood to follow him.

XxX

A striking female had helped bring Macon back to her once-former glory. She'd taken special care to remove the tangles and damaged ends from Macon's brown hair, even trimming her fingernails and toenails. Macon felt proud as she looked into a floor-length mirror, admiring how she had been transformed from a cavewoman into the young woman she remembered herself being.

After a shower and "the works," Macon was allowed to pick out two dresses. The one she currently wore was beautiful, and she had trouble not rubbing the silky fabric. The other dress had been delivered to her living quarters.

Macon was led to a waiting area and was instructed that someone would come to escort her to her new residence. As she played with the hem of her dress, it felt as if sparks ignited over every inch of her skin.