Chapter 22

"I'm home!" I shouted as I remove my shoes before heading inside.

"Finally!" Claudia rushed towards me, holding out her copy of the school yearbook. "I've been wanting to tease you for having 'the world's worst yearbook photo'."

"Oh God," I shook my head "You just had to mention that."

"This is the best day of my life!" Claudia said as she started laughing hysterically. "I should show this to mom."

"No!" I shouted out loud. "Whatever you do, don't show it to-"

"Fred!" Mom's voice echoed as she emerged from the kitchen. "Why are you shouting? The neighbors are already sleeping."

"Mom," Claudia caught her attention as she started to flip the pages on her yearbook like crazy. "You've got to see this."

Claudia stopped at the page where my photo was and handed it over to mom, who's face suddenly twisted out of disgust, probably because she saw what I looked like in the yearbook photo.

"Sweetie-" Mom looked at me, then back at the yearbook. "You look awful in here!"

"Mom, I know..." I sighed before making up an explanation. "Something triggered my allergy, and I started sneezing like hell before the picture taking."

"Oh, that's unfortunate..." She tried to comfort me. "Well, at least your hair looks nice."

Mom's eyes went to the photo of the person next to me; Darren Im. I could've sworn her eyes went wide for a moment there.

"Darren is such a handsome young man..." Mom said in a mild manner. "Don't you think so, sweetie?"

Of course!

"Of course!" My mouth got the best of me again. "I-I mean, y-yeah, he's really photogenic."

"Riiiiiight..." Claudia's voice was filled with suspicion, but I ignored it with a shrug. "Anyways, I have to do a stupid film review, so I'll be in my room, and do not disturb me!"

Claudia ran to the kitchen to grab a bag of Skittles before heading back to her room. Mom and I are the only ones left in the living room, when I received a message from Darren.

"Hey! Just wanted to check up on you, and if you told your mom you're sleeping over yet. I'll be waiting for your response." He typed.

I've been to a lot of sleepovers, and mom always lets me go, but for some weird reason, I feel really nervous to ask for her permission this time. My mouth felt really arid as I spoke. I wonder why?

"Mom..." I muttered nervously as she. "Can I...Crash at Darren's?"

She shot me a confused look, not hearing what I just said. "Come again, sweetie?"

"Can I sleep over at Darren's place?" I asked, my voice a little bit louder than before.

"At Darren's?" She asked, looking really curious. "Why?"

"N-nothing special. H-he just asked me to come over..." I explained as I felt my face growing red, so I lowered my gaze. "So, can I?"

Mom didn't say anything for a while and studied me carefully. I tried to look her in the eye, but my flushed face gave it away. She knows I like Darren, and she knows how this sleepover would mean a lot for me.

"I mean, his house is literally on the other side of the road..." Mom said as she gave me a faint smile. "I don't see why not."

YES! YES! YES!

"Thanks mom..." I tried to contain my excitement, but I couldn't, so I hugged her in otder to calm down a little. "I love you so much."

"As much as you love Darren?" She asked jokingly.