Chapter 29

Frantic, painful hours passed before I saw Quinn again.

When I did, he was still in the same torn and stained clothing he had been immediately after the fire; and he made no attempt to conceal his emotions as he raced toward me and into my outstretched arms.

"Abigail, my darling…"

This time it was I who kissed him, and I felt him lean his weight heavily against me. He was exhausted, near to absolute collapse. As I ran my hands through short silver hair impossible to ever smooth down, I had to ask the question that terrified me to the core.

"Schuyler?"

"He may yet lose one leg, but he will live."

I clasped him tighter, but now he leaned back so he could meet my eyes.

"Abigail, I must leave Fairever. Immediately."

At that moment — at that thought — I was utterly heartbroken.

"Quinn—"

"Schuyler was right. I cannot stay now." His eyes shone with tears as, realizing that I misunderstood his intentions, he took my face tenderly into his hands and leaned his forehead against mine. "We cannot stay."

I trembled so I could scarcely force the word out. "We?"

"We must go away. Far away, and begin a new life."

"But..."

"Schuyler will recover. He will stay here; the Weatheralls will look after him and Penn until it's safe for Penn to travel."

"Penn's hearing?" Tears fell from my eyes now, and as he brushed them away, Quinn merely shook his head in the negative. Just as I'd feared, Penn's loss could not be reclaimed.

"When we are settled, and it is safe, the Weatheralls will send them to us."

"Them?"

"Penn. Lilibet and Marielle. It's all being arranged."

“What about…" I didn't know how to ask what I was asking. "What of you and I?"

"I intend," Quinn whispered, pressing his lips to my ear, "for Mrs. Godspeed to live as long and healthy a life as I am able to provide for her."

I stared at him in disbelief as he elaborated.

"I have found my heart inextricably wound into the clockwork of yours, Abigail Courage. To lose you now would mean the death of me." He clasped both of my hands and held them to his heart. "I love you, Abigail. Marry me."