14. I Keep Failing to Comprehend

That day, a week after the flower festival. I was having tea with Philip at the Duke Laurenson's residency.

Because of his outrageous lie, that I often came to visit, we had been meeting more often. Regarding that, his parents only gazed at me happily.

When I put on the earrings I had received the other day, as per my maid's advice, he looked extremely pleased. I politely declined when he offered to buy me more earrings—'Would ten suffice?' I only had two ears, after all.

...Of course, there were many cases of long silence like before. But, strangely, I didn't feel as awkward as before.

"By the way, will Philip attend the school reunion next month?"

At my casual inquiry, Philip looked embarrassed. After some contemplation, he opened his mouth.

"I won't."

"I see, so that's how it is."

"What about you?"

"Of course, I won't either."

When I answered so, he said, "I see..."

For some reason, he looked terribly relieved...

◇◇◇

"Viola, forgive me..."

"I, it's alright..."

"Even though Viola is currently experiencing such a hardship, I—!"

Three days later, Jamie, whom was both thin and in pain, visited our house while crying.

A quarrel with her lover led to them breaking up. She fell into a depression and locked herself in her room for a month. Inherently, her temperament was strong. However, when it came to men, she became extremely weak. That was why she didn't even know about my accident. She cried, wailing that she was unworthy of being my best friend. After all, she failed to be with me during these difficult times.

To be honest, she was more likely to die than I, whom was in an accident, because she looked like she was about to collapse. My circumstances aside, I was pretty alright, so please don't worry.

"As I've said, I'm alright."

"Really...? Also, please, stop being so formal."

"I, I understand."

Afterwards, she talked about how close she and I were for about two hours. Although it was embarrassing, I was also joyful.

After Rex had instructed me, I was worried about talking with Jamie. Sometimes, Jamie could be unpredictable. She would do things beyond my wildest imagination.

I told her that I was recovering, and that every once in a while I'd visit Philip. That was enough to surprise her.

"Come to think of it, have you received the invitation to the reunion...?"

"Yes, it has arrived."

"...I'm certain Hugo will attend, too."

After a breather, the topic shifted to the alumni reunion.

Hugo was her ex-lover, and also my former classmate. I remembered that he was generally a good person. I couldn't tell myself, but there might have been more to him that what met the eyes.

"...Viola, why don't you go with me?"

"Eh?"

Jamie gazed at me with puppy eyes. That was her habit when she had a penchant for something.