Chapter 6 - Back Again So Soon

It surprised me when Elian came into the pharmacy a few hours later. But it thrilled me to see him again so soon, as evidenced by the huge dopey grin that I couldn't shake. "I didn't expect to see you in here today."

"Of course, I'm here." He said it like I should have known. Like it would be crazy to think he wouldn't come. "You're my favorite part of the day."

I cleared my throat to buy a moment to gather myself as heat blossomed up from my neck to fill my cheeks. "You already saw me today."

"Yeah." He nodded, his lips puckered in consideration. "But I didn't think it was enough."

"We spent like three hours together."

"Exactly!" he said it as if I'd proven his point.

"We usually only see each other for about twenty minutes."

Shut up! Why was I trying to talk him out of this?

He remained undeterred. "And that's a shame."

I agreed with him. It was a shame. He lifted my mood every day when he walked through that door. The high of him never hung around long after he'd gone. But the longer he spent in the store, the longer the aftereffects lasted. I fully expected to ride the high of today's stroll through town until closing time, maybe even into tomorrow.

"I think you should have dinner with me," Elian said plainly.

My breath caught in my throat. It wasn't entirely unexpected. He told me earlier that he wanted to ask me out again, but that didn't detract from the overwhelming nerves the idea brought about.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and asked, "is that what you think?"

"Yeah."

"When?"

"Tonight."

It took everything in me not to accept on the spot. But I didn't want to seem overeager, so I took a beat to breathe, which actually helped the queasiness in my stomach.

"Isn't that a bit soon?" I asked. Then something else occurred to me. "Also, I don't get off until nine on Sundays. We're always twice as busy. So, I'm expecting a whole six people to come in tonight. Maybe even seven."

Elian threw his head back with one of his deep throaty laughs that I'd come to love, especially when I could cause them. I didn't think I was that funny, but I was glad he did.

"Fine." He gripped the edge of the counter and leaned forward, making the veins in his arms stand out. "Tomorrow night, please. I don't think I can wait any longer than that."

"Tomorrow, then."

"Give me your address, I'll pick you up."

"You don't have to do that." I tried to hide my panic. I didn't want him to see that I lived in a trailer park. The only people I'd ever allowed there were Derek and my other best friend, Shelly, because I knew they didn't care about that kind of thing. Also, I didn't want to impress either of them.

Elian reached over and took my hand. "If I'm taking a guy out, I insist on giving him the full package."

I snorted, trying to fight a laugh. "Do you realize how that sounds?"

"I do now." He closed his eyes, his lips pressed tightly. He huffed and looked up at me. "That's not what I meant though."

"I know what you meant." I gripped his hand tighter. "And it's very sweet. But I live all the way on the edge of town and the roads out there suck. Just potholes everywhere. And hardly any streetlights to read the signs."

"Um, okay," he said, sounding a bit strained. His face had fallen, but I didn't understand why. "We can meet here if that's better for you."

"Yes! Carl takes over for me at six. So, how about we meet at seven?"

"Seven is perfect." His jovial mood had returned. As had his smile. "Care to try for a second kiss?"

I grinned, nodding.

He crooked his finger at me, leaning over the counter as far as he could. I copied his movement, moving in to press my lips to his. This kiss lasted longer than the last, but it was still just a modest kiss that left me unsatisfied.

When we broke apart, Elian backed away toward the door. "Till tomorrow, then." He swept his arm into the air dramatically. I half-expected him to leap into the air and click his heels together.

Instead, he gave me a wink and spun around to push through the door, leaving me smiling and giddy.

I was still daydreaming about the encounter a few hours later when my boss arrived to open the actual pharmacy part of the pharmacy. No one ever came in before noon to have their prescriptions filled. Perhaps because Mr. Meeks didn't arrive until after he had his lunch.

He trudged over to the counter on his cane and placed a Tupperware container in front of me. "Maureen sent you some of those peanut butter chocolate chip cookies you like so much."

"Tell her thank you for me." I took out one cookie and resealed the lid. I placed the container under the counter, next to my backpack, which I kept stuffed with things to keep me busy during my many hours of downtime.

"What's got you so sunny today?" Mr. Meeks asked.

"I have a date," I said, beaming. I took a bite of the cookie and moaned as the taste exploded across my tongue. I loved those things.

"Oh, no!" Mr. Meeks clutched at his stomach. A look of devastation crossed his face. I thought he was having some kind of attack and that I'd need to call 9-1-1. Then, he said, "Did Michael and Terrence break up?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, fighting off an eye roll. "No. It's with a new guy in town."

The old man blew out a relieved breath and chuckled. "Whew. I'd hate to have to tell Maureen their Fourth of July barbecue wasn't happening. You know how much she looks forward to that thing. We all do."

"Yeah. Michael and Terrence are great. We all love them." I tried not to let too much scorn seep into my voice.

The fact he jumped to that conclusion so easily illustrated my frustration with this town perfectly. Who else would I date, if not Michael or Terrence? The answer: No one.

Mr. Meeks reached over and patted my shoulder. "I wish the Fourth would hurry up and get here. Don't you? I can practically taste those melt-in-your-mouth ribs Michael makes."

"They're fantastic," I mumbled, crossing my arms.

It annoyed me that he cared more about Michael and Terrence's stupid barbecue, which was weeks away, than about my first potential relationship. Mr. and Mrs. Meeks had been like surrogate grandparents to me ever since I started working at the pharmacy at sixteen. Mom and I ate Thanksgiving dinner at their house every year. They rarely interacted with Michael and Terrence outside of town events. And that stupid fucking barbecue.

I dropped the conversation, changing the subject to work matters. I didn't want to sour the memory of today by harping on my unjustified hatred of Michael and Terrence.