Chapter 23 - Fireworks

A/N: CONTENT WARNING: discussion of a past eating disorder.

I don't usually do this, but I just felt like I should add this, because there's a discussion about a past eating disorder about halfway through this chapter for a few paragraphs. There are no graphic details and I don't really go into many specifics, but the character explains their feelings about the situation and some of what they went through. This has been on my mind since I wrote this chapter, and maybe what I wrote is not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be. But I'd rather be overdramatic than to ever make anyone uncomfortable or upset by something I write. I really do cherish each and every one of you who reads my work. It means so much to me that anyone wants to spend time in these worlds that I create. So better safe than sorry.

I added asterisks (*) before and after that section so you can skip that part if you want.

As night fell, children traded bubble wands for sparklers, chasing each other around, pretending to be wizards and fairies. Most of the elderly people left by dusk—including Mr. and Mrs. Meeks. Families and couples gathered on blankets, readying for the show. A crowd of teenagers hung at the dark edges of the parking lot, sneaking cans of beer and cigarettes, pretending to be too cool for this. Carl was among them, his arm dangling around a pretty girl.

Mom found me and Elian just as we left the trolly cart for Olde Sam's Sweet Shop with our bowls of homemade ice cream. I insisted we needed it for the firework viewing experience. He agreed.

Mom handed me a tote bag.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"I packed you a blanket so you don't have to sit on the grass or dirt to watch the show. I knew you'd forget. You always do."

"Not always." I was slightly offended.

She cocked an eyebrow in disbelief. "Always."

"Whatever." I mumbled, taking a bite of my chocolate ice cream.

At the same time, Elian said, "Thank you."

"You are welcome, Elian." She glanced at me. "Not so much you."

Elian snickered and wrapped his arm around mine, leaning his head on my shoulder.

"I'll see you boys later. Ray and I are heading home."

"You aren't watching the show?" I asked.

"I've seen it every year for thirty-six years. I can skip one." She covered her mouth and let out a loud yawn. "Besides, I've been up since four this morning to finish the brownies."

"They were delicious." Elian said. "I wish there were some more. They'd go great with this ice cream."

She patted his shoulder. "There's a whole pan back at home. I always make some for Stevie to keep. You're more than welcome to them."

Elian smiled and looked at me. "If that's the case, I might have to spend the night at your place for once."

"Goodnight, Mom." I stepped forward to put one arm around her, since Elian occupied the other. I was careful not to spill my ice cream on her. Not so much because I worried about it getting it on her as I didn't want to have to wait in line again for more. It was about thirty people long now.

She squeezed me. "Goodnight, honey." Releasing me, she rubbed Elian's shoulder. "Goodnight, sweetheart."

"Night." he mumbled around the giant glob of ice cream he'd just shoved in his mouth.

"Stevie, can you come here for a second?"

I glanced at Elian and slipped away. Mom pulled me a few feet further from him. "I'm going to Ray's place, so you'll have the trailer to yourself if you want to take Elian home after the show."