Chapter 10 - Unexpected Sleepover

I woke up the next morning in misery. The bruises on my stomach still ached. I groaned and took some painkillers before getting up to get ready.

Thursday went by and soon it was Friday afternoon.

Mason was coming over to do the project. I was low-key dreading it.

I sat in the kitchen at the island with my work, starting to figure out what we were going to do. He was going to be here soon.

Cole and Natalie were in the living room which was open to the kitchen. They were laying on the couch watching Cole's phone. They looked cute. Couple goals, can't relate.

River and Adam we're out with friends. Elijah and Henry were upstairs in their rooms.

The doorbell rang twenty minutes later.

I got up and opened the door. Mason stood there and gave me a dull smile. He looked as miserable as I always feel.

"Come on in," I said.

I led him to the kitchen and he sat down glancing toward Cole and Natalie.

We worked and started making the video. Mason wasn't his good, fun self like he was at school. He seemed sad.

We finished the filming and started to edit it.

Natalie got up and went to get a snack and looked over my shoulder at our video.

"Hold up you can't use this. I'm in the background," she said.

I looked closer and saw her foot... just her foot.

"It's just your foot," Mason laughed.

"Yeah my ugly one," she put her right foot on the chair, "This one is better. You have no right to put my left one in."

Mason started laughing to the point where his eyes got tears in them. His laugh made everyone else in the room laugh even Cole who was still on the couch. It was even that funny but laughing felt good, and it seemed to help Mason's mood.

"I'm being serious," Natalie said, trying not to laugh.

"I think your left foot looks fine, babe," Cole said, coming over.

"Here I'll crop your foot out," I said, editing the video.

"Now it looks weird, everything is off-center," Mason whined.

"All right you fix it then," I gave the laptop to him.

He messed with it for a little bit and turned it back. He had placed a smiley face over her foot.

"Perfect," Natalie said.

We laughed and ended up leaving it like that.

Mason and I finished editing the video and sat in the living to relax.

We ended up playing Uno. Then we played speed Uno which was where there were no turns you just put cards down when you had a match. That led to cards being thrown and an argument between Natalie and Mason on who put their last card down first. Mason lost that argument.

I turned on the TV while everyone else went on their phones.

I curled up on the far end of the couch. The painkillers from this morning were starting to wear off.

Adam came through the front door and into the kitchen. He sat down in the recliner next to me.

He looked at Mason and then back at me. "Hey, I'm Adam," he said to Mason.