Chapter 18 - Memory Lane

Wait, what? No.  They wouldn't, would they?

"What? Why?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"Don't worry those boys can't hurt you anymore.  Come on, I have other things to be doing," she said as she rushed me to the car.

"What boys? My brothers?" I was so confused.

"If that's what you want to call them," she unlocked the car.

"They didn't hurt me," I said.

"You don't need to lie anymore, darling.  Now let's go.  The matter is non-negotiable."

"What about my stuff?" I asked not getting i no the car.

"I'll go get your things and bring them later tonight," she assured me.  

"They didn't hurt me," I said again.

"Look we got a call that said they were, so for your safety we are moving you whether that call is true or not," Barbara told me.  She was getting more and more impatient. 

"The one time I have something good is when you take me away for my safety?  What about Elliot?  Remember that?  Remember how he had beaten me and I tried to tell someone but no one listened or cared?  Not even you.  And now NOW YOURE DOING THIS FOR MY SAFETY.  YOU'RE TOO LATE. I NEEDED HELP BACK THEN NOT NOW!"  I was pissed.  I was crying because I cry when I get mad.

"Don't make me get the officers over here," that was all she said.  She grabbed my wrist to pull me in the car.

"Don't touch me!" I screamed at her.

Moving me?  God, who do these people think they are?

"I really don't have time for this," she said walking away.

I sat on the curb and cried.  The officer came over.  

I didn't fight him as he pulled me to the car and put me in the back seat.

"This is dumb," I told him.  "You're taking me away from something good and putting me somewhere that will most likely hurt me.  How do you feel about that?"

He ignored me and closed the door.
We drove a good 30 minutes to a small mobile home.  There was junk in the yard and on the porch. 

Barbara practically dragged me to the front door.

She knocked on the door.

An old lady with gray curly hair answered, "Ah you must be Cassie," she said, "I'm Carol, come in." 

"Alright I have to go.  I'll check up on you later darling," Barbara left quickly.  I rolled my eyes.  What a bitch.

I walked into the musty-smelling house.  Carol immediately sat me down and went over the rules of the house.  There were no phones, drugs, alcohol, friends, boyfriends, or anything she might find unorthodox.  Chores had to be done daily.  And no sneaking out or going out at all other than school.

She went through my bag and found my laptop and phone.  She took them both and gave me my bag back.

She then showed me my room.  We walked down a hall and she opened a bedroom.  

My bed was a mattress on the floor which looked like it was just thrown there.  Which it probably was.  There was a pillow and blanket.  

She left and let me "settle in".

I sat on the bed.  I wrapped my arms around my legs and breathed in Adams's hoodie.  I cried.  How could they think that they hurt me?  They were the best thing that had ever happened to me.