...Will not delay

A flash from the past and a glimpse of the future...

Chronos was just starting to feel comfortable inside Ananke's mind again, feeling the edges of their overlapped psyches and relishing the prospect that he was gaining more control over the mortal's body. He still detested the idea of being imprisoned inside a female form, but it beat incorporeal existence hands down. His mind seemed to circle protectively around the part of 'nake that felt brittle and fragile from the encounter with her memory but she was unaware of that raw spot. Or at least doing her stoic best to ignore its existence.

Herald walked beside Ananke's body as if he were simply standing close because of the crowds around them and they were all doing their best to pretend that was the entire case. Herald was looking distracted, as if even he didn't entirely understand where the urge to kiss the mortal Ananke had come from. And it was too uncomfortable to acknowledge his earlier affection; Ananke still hadn't sussed out whether or not she had been the one in control of her body when she'd pushed Herald away or if it had been the god in her head. She instead of obsessing over it, she had simply taken charge, put a cart in Herald's grip and guided him around as she collected items off of the shelves. A set of parkas and several under layering items, and a few other not so obvious survival items.

You do realize you keep grabbing three of every item. I appreciate your concern Ananke, but I highly doubt I have to worry about frostbite, unless you plan on skinny dipping in the snow. Chronos pointed out with a mental laugh.

He felt Ananke's momentary surprise. I know that. I hadn't even realized I was grabbing threes. It just... felt right somehow. Her mental tone sounded thoughtful.

Trust your instincts. Your control over the pieces of Time seems to be intuitive at best, chaotic more often and rather undisciplined. But if something is telling you to have at least one set of spares, then go with it. Chronos offered in an almost back handed compliment.

 It makes me wonder if I'm buying spares or expecting company while we journey. Is there anyone you can think of whom would join us in this venture? Ananke's question made Chronos uncomfortable. He knew that they were leaving his Pantheon behind and so if there was anyone going to join them, he was likely to be as inexperienced with matters as the mortal he was cohabitating with. Even if he did have some insider's knowledge, it would still leave him in an advisory role at best. He hated the lack of control these next stages of repairing Time promised.

Be prepared. Regardless of what it is you have to prepare for, it'll still be of service. The Father of Time suggested sagely.

Thank you Scar. Ananke quipped and Chronos actually had to skim some of her unhidden memories to locate the reference she was making. And when he found it Chronos nearly sputtered in surprise.

You just made a joke? He felt the need to point out and Ananke shrugged her shoulders in response.

I used to have a sly sense of humor. At least I think I did. Ananke admitted. Chronos knew he wasn't supposed to hear the second part but he was more deeply immersed in Ananke than she expected him to be.

She was still assuming she could force him out at any time, like she nearly had in the earlier stages of their working relationship. It pleased Chronos to know that now it would be a greater struggle to try and rend his consciousness from this body they shared. Her heartbeat was becoming familiar now and he luxuriated in the sensations of being alive and solid. Distantly Chronos thought he could hear the rhythmic booming of some great drum, but the sound was slightly off, as if the drummer was losing the beat. Ananke shook her head and Chronos lost the trace of that drum, pulled from his mental musing to focus on what the body he shared was doing now.