...the Longest distance between two places

Only when the clock stops does time come to life…

Chronos marvelled at the burn of fatigue that was an acid sting in Ananke’s muscles. There was a pleasurable ache of using muscles that had long trained for movements such as they were doing, a freedom from thought that only action could bring. He longed to dominate his will over the mortal’s just so that for a few moments at least he could revel in the luxury of being wholly physical, of experiencing all that the senses could offer. Of course, the Father of Time was more than aware that the experience and skill that made it such a simple feat for Ananke to climb this icy cliff face would evaporate should he assume control of her body, and yet the temptation was there to try regardless of the consequences.

Could you feel pain in your own physical form? Ananke inquired, either over hearing his thoughts or sensing his desire to be corporeal.

Chronos hesitated to respond, a mixture of reticence to admit his selfish desire for control and a loathing to expose godly secrets to a mortal mind. It wasn’t until he detected a sense of amusement from Ananke, a thin thread of humour she wasn’t even aware of yet, that he decided to confess the truth to her. Yes, the immortal body of most Pantheons can feel pain. It will not kill us, it does not persist for long and it is a fleeting thing in a life span like ours, but we feel it. Some use it to aid in their entertainments, for pain and pleasure are kindred and one can improve the texture of the other. But I suspect that pain is the way the Pantheons are tied to the people we assume mastery over. You saw pieces of my past, you felt my Pantheon, so you know at least that there are those whom never understood the Power of mortality.

Ananke didn’t respond for a moment as she climbed, her thoughts too deeply hidden for Chronos to skim off and listen in to. He would have frowned had he a face to frown with, wondering if this remarkably intelligent woman didn’t comprehend what he was trying to express. You cannot change on your own. It is us weak, temporary and rather pathetic mortals that change and it is us that cause change to you all in turn….You can feel pain because it reminds you for a brief second that immortal does not mean invulnerable or invincible. That the mighty can be toppled by the weak, as long as the weak are sufficiently motivated.

Chronos did his best to bury the glowing pride he felt that she understood and had figured that simple truth out. It should have bothered him, to have the secrets of Gods and Titans in the mind of a mortal, but he could rationalize it away because she understood as he was in her mind. It is the balance of the World. We Gods should not need you mortals. And yet we do. We Gods are not bound by Time and yet we serve Time. We..

All thought ceased for a moment when the icy crag that Ananke had been gripping suddenly shattered under her grip and there was a brief sensation of falling. The bottom of Ananke’s stomach rushed upwards, coating her throat and mouth with acid, the scream of adrenaline flooded her system and as quickly as they started to fall, they stopped. Ananke’s other hand had immediately latched onto another outcropping, a branch this time, and although her shoulder stung at the jolt, there was no other indication of injury from the brief fall. 

Sweet ecstasy and agony, your body is awash with chemicals from that. Chronos breathed inside the mortal’s mind, riding the high and thrill of near death.

You should feel what it’s like when I do something I have a chance to get worked up about before hand. Quick reflexes are wonderfully exhilarating but there is something more addictive about contemplating the scariness of what one is about to do, and then determine to do it regardless. Ananke replied with a mental laugh. And then paused, astonishment flushing through her system quickly before it evaporated, because she had laughed.

Even Chronos felt amazed to hear her mental laugh. She’d felt it for just a moment, that sense of renewal in the cold, dark and benumbed core of herself. The memories are settling inside your mind and it seems that means your emotions are returning as well. You have a beautiful laugh Ananke, and I can only imagine what it must be like to feel the full extent of your emotions when they return. Chronos soothed as he felt her emotions settle down again.

I need to focus on the climb. Ananke sounded calm and collected once again, her own barriers starting to erect again as she fled both her own emotions and the sense of camaraderie with Chronos.

The burn of smoke tickled past the layers protecting her face but it didn’t have the pungent taste of a regular fire. It smelled of wood smoke yes, but of hot metal and high seas as well. As if the great fires below had the power to boil the land and raise hell in the oceans. A shockwave of energy thrummed through the branches and ice that Ananke climbed and locked her body in the great tangle for a moment, memories that weren’t her own flooding through her in a painful rush.

She was in the eyes of a mother, watching all matter of things attack her glorious son. Arrows and rocks, living serpents, fangs and lighting all raged about him and yet none so much as ruffles the hairs on his head. He was unharmed and invulnerable to all. And yet even as she watches, a slender, small shoot of mistletoe lays the great man to death, the pain and desolation of his ending ripping the memory away to be replaced by another.

She stared forth from the eyes of a male, seeing the churning sea froth before the feet of her current form and the two brothers of it next to her. Their will called forth the cresting butte of mountain top, the life bearing planes chasing upwards until land was given birth to by the waters that had consumed all before, and eventually would again.

Chronos surged up inside Ananke’s mind, feeling the onslaught of memories hammer into the mortal mind. In his own Pantheon it was simple for the others to speak to her without harm as she was distant kin. But here she had no such ties and the memories being thrust on her were stripping away her sanity and overwhelming her. Her body had clutched to the grips and held fast, but her mind curled within and shuddered, allowing him to guard over her and take the abuse and pain from the memories of these Nordic gods. ENOUGH! Chronos raged out, lashing back at the memories with his own and they collided, neither one dominating the other but halting their access to his mortal host.

Ananke felt tears drip off her face, freezing against her skin in the cold and her mind felt ripped apart. My head….is killing me… she breathed and felt a comforting wash of pain receding away. It was still there, but a barrier had come up between her and the sensations. It felt strangely like being held in a warm, soothing embrace.

You must climb. I will take the pain but you must continue. Chronos urged and offered the mortal what strength he could.

Despite the pain and her confusion of the sudden assault, Ananke moved at his urging. It seemed less perilous as she ascended - physics and reality having little reflection here and now. She seemed to have reached a level where there were levels and outcroppings of stable rock and ice to maneuver on. It was as if an entire mountain had been brought up into the clouds by the branches below. What were those images? I know I saw them and felt their intensity, but even now I find I cannot summon the details of them.

The past is dying. It races along to the jaws and teeth of the hungry future and we must CLIMB. Chronos urged once again.

There’s something here with me. Ananke replied, not moving forwards despite the Titan in her head commanding her. She felt the eyes of some hostile watcher glaring at her, hidden in the smoke and cloud and fog. The instincts of a prey animal screamed at her to stay still or flee while the mind of a trained woman and survivor compelled her to watch and react. All while the Father of Time in her head felt the sands of time trickle away, but he had no power over her to command action.

A rumble of hatred broke the silence of the moment, breaking Ananke free of her watchful stance as she leapt forwards and upwards as some dark, monstrous thing lunged at her with the snapping teeth of a wolf but the blind fury and destructive power of a swirling maelstrom. Fenrir. Chronos provided the identification even as the offspring of Loki scrambled on the ice and branches after Ananke, chasing her higher.

How do I stop it, kill it or get away from it? Ananke asked, mental voice once again disturbingly calm and accepting of the situation.

You cannot. It is another that is destined to kill the beast below you. And thus far even the restraints of the gods have only seemed to enrage him. I suggest that we continue the mad dash upwards and hope that we reach the Pillar and salvation before he reaches us with those teeth. Chronos informed, wondering how much pain he could help her endure if necessary.