Part 3: A Brawl in Brawl Shop

It's morning. Starr Park hadn't even opened yet, but several staff members were already there at dawn, getting ready for the grind. Near the front sat the grand gift shop which had just lifted their metal gate. Behind it a truck slowly unloaded a fresh stock of products onto a lot. The dark and gloomy boy stood there and just watched as his scarf waved in the morning breeze. Edgar caught a glimpse of the alleyway nearby as his face cringed. His arms were crossed while he leaned against the brick wall, shifting his focus onto the boxes being unloaded one-by-one.

"Ugh, back on the grind, I guess." he groaned as he stretched his arms.

Once the truck left, he and his trusty scarf began bringing the packages into the shop. Every time he'd enter the building, he'd try to catch a glimpse of the cash register. Colette wasn't there. It was unusual, he had gotten used to her always coming in early to greet him with that signature grin. One time he had even caught her asleep in the shop. He could never forget that morning, especially this one, as his partner wasn't even there at all. He tried hiding his disappointment, but his scarf would noogie him every once and a while. It never lied.

"Hey quit it! Get back to work!" he yelled at his striped accessory.

"Who are you talking to?" asked a familiar voice.

Edgar turned red as he turned to see Colette at the store's front. He hid his blushing face under his scarf and tried to act cool.

"Oh right, the scarf." she replied.

"What makes you so late?" he asked sarcastically.

Colette simply smiled, but this smile was softer, and more forced. He knew something was wrong, but he chose to remain ignorant. Turning back towards the storage room, he grabbed a box.

"Go over to your station, freak. I gotta stock the shelves." he continued.

As she walked over to the cash register, she kept looking at Edgar with a worried face. He felt her gaze behind him as he placed souvenirs on the store shelves. His chest began to tighten as anxiety rose within him. Busy distracting himself with his duties, he didn't realize Colette slowly shuffling towards him.

"Hey, Edgar..?" she called.

He remained silent, forcing himself to focus on stocking the shelves.

"E-edgar..."

No response.

She tried making small talk. "So uhh, your scarf looks fine, did you fix it up or..?"

He nodded shyly, but still refused to even look at her standing a few feet away.

She went straight to the point. "I found your letter..."

Edgar suddenly stopped mid motion, pausing before he could place down the Poco bobblehead on the shelf. His face was practically a tomato, but his pupils were dilated.

Colette continued. "L-listen, Edgar. I-"

"Stop. You don't need to say it." he interrupted. Before she could answer, he was already confident in his assumption.

"But I haven't even said anything."

Edgar snickered. "Tch, I can read it in your voice. It's fine, forget about it..."

He slammed the bobblehead and turned away, but was pulled back by his arm. Colette's expression had changed from concerned to peeved. It was unusual for her to be anything but blissful. Her sharp eyes were now finally terrifying to Edgar. Colette's sharp toothed grin was like a wild animal's with how it gritted. The racing in Edgar's heart at that moment wasn't like usual. Almost like he was afraid.