Sixteen - Bane

Bane's panic didn't ease as George's face cleared of fear and returned to her usual countenance, if she looked a bit shaken.

She was trembling under his hands and he wondered if She'd even realized it. George glanced at where his thumb was tracing a circle into the softness of her skin and Bane felt himself flush with awkward embarrassment.

"I'll - uh - " he stuttered, not finishing the sentence as he abruptly released her and stood, helping her up as he went. She gave him a weak smile but didn't meet his eye as he backed out of the small dressing room feeling like a fool.

"It'll just be a minute," George called, her voice a little off as he pulled the curtain back into place between them.

"Lord Brisbane..." one of the Sanderson sisters called to him from behind his left shoulder. Turning, he endured a sour scowl from both women before one reached out to hand him a slip of paper... it was only the bill.

"Yes, of course," Bane stuttered, then swiping a hand over his face, "And - uh - you had something for Mary Kathleen as well I believe?" he asked, moving with them towards the front counter, leaving George shuffling fabric from the other side of the curtain. His heart rate was slowing now, but that tiredness you have after a rush of fear was stealing over him, in addition to two nights without sleep.

The two older ladies were quick to accept his credits, wrap several boxes for George and produce one hat box for Mary Kathleen as promised. They did not comment on his odd outburst, or the fact that he'd acted completely out of his reputable fierceness, practically panicking on the floor of a dress shop because his wife was taking too long buying new clothes. He didn't know what had gotten into him... well he didn't want to consider it...

"Bane?" came her voice, a voice he'd recognize anywhere now, and he turned to find George hobbling towards him, her face still questioning, still unsure. Bane felt a sinking in his gut, he'd finally scared her. Odd, just when he was beginning to hope she Couldn't be scared off.

"What happened?" George asked as the two of them settled into the carriage that was now ladened with her new wardrobe and would take them the rest of the way to Brisbane Castle.

"Nothing," Bane answered gruffly, staring out the window as if hardly interested in her coversation.

"Your family - did you radio ahead to them?" she asked next, after several minutes of silence had passed between them.

"Yes, yes," he muttered absently tugging at his beard as the carriage began to wind upwards, towards the mountain castle that he called home.

She fell silent again and Bane peeked to see her staring out the opposite window, mirroring his efforts of disinterest. Her hands were twisting in her lap nervoulsy, and he realized for the first time that she was wearing a different dress. This one was green, he realized he liked it with a rush of simple pleasure just looking at her. Since when did he care what women wore?

Not since one had torn his heart out, he reminded himself bitterly, turning back to the window, feeling the weight of the black rose that rested against his chest inside of his coat.

Cora had loved all things exotic, different - rare. In truth, she loved anything she Couldn't have. Black roses and secret lovers among the list.

Seemingly the only stroke of luck in this false marriage would be the fact that he would not have to tell George about Cora at all. would not have to explain the strange tragedy that still cast a pall over his family, the consuming guilt he felt at the anniversary each year. But then again, he'd hoped marriage to Georgina Marie St. John would heal all of this... he'd counted on it in fact. Those letters they'd written, they'd lifted that dark, clinging sadness like candle flames in pitch blackness. And now? Now it would take six weeks and that lovely little flame would leave him alone in the darkness again. Bane glanced at her again as she sat beside him, the carriage swaying with the effort to climb the mountain. Saints if there was not a palpable longing that bled out of him every time he looked at her.