Chapter 31: Oblivious To The Obvious

"Thanks for the ride," I told Dave as soon as we arrived in front of my house. "I had fun tonight."

It was true. The first half of the date was honestly a disaster but thankfully, it somehow managed to turn out pretty well by the end of the night. After dinner, we hung out at the stone benches near the beach, simply chatting random stuff. Dave was actually a pretty nice guy once you get past the cocky side. He was also funny considering how many times he's made me laugh tonight.

But just because I see this good side of him doesn't mean I'm falling for him already. And truth be told, I couldn't quite imagine dating him. He seemed more like a good guy friend rather than a boyfriend. At least that's what I thought.

"You're welcome," he said and immediately scrambled to open the door for me. I must've looked obviously surprised because he sputtered an amused laugh and added, "Wouldn't want Hayden snarling at me for not opening the door for you again, eh."

"Oh," I muttered. So that's what it's all about.

"Just kidding," Dave said. "I'm sorry if I was acting like a big jerk earlier. You didn't deserve that."

I blushed. "No, it's alright."

"No, it's not," he replied. "So again, I'm sorry for being rude. I didn't honestly expect you to be a really awesome girl. You're very cool."

"Thanks," I said, smiling at him. "You're not so bad yourself."

Dave simply raised an eyebrow at me."That's the second time you've answered me that."

"Oh, did I? Wow, you're very observant."

He laughed. "Nice one. So uh, yeah. Thanks for going out with me. I hope we can do this again for some other time."

Shucks. How am I gonna tell him that I'm not interested in having a second date? Geez. I guess I'll just have to cross the bridge when I get there.

"Yeah, thanks. Good night?"

He leaned in closer and a wave of panic suddenly washed over me. He's not gonna kiss me, is he? Not knowing what to do, I discreetly tilted my head sideways so his lips landed on my cheek. I heard him sigh. "Good night Carli. See you at school."

"Uh sure, good night."

I watched him get in his car and only entered the house when he's already sped off to the road. Fishing my keys inside my purse, I slowly opened the door and was greeted with total darkness. Carefully, I trudged my way towards the living room where the stairs were located and was surprised when I saw the television still open, with Chase watching some late night show.

He must've noticed my presence because he suddenly looked up, our eyes meeting amidst the darkness.

"Oh, you're here," he said. "How was your date?"

I shrugged. "T'was fine," I answered, not planning to elaborate.

"So, did Thurman do anything inappropriate? Did he go out of line?"

I shook my head. "No, he's very nice to me. I actually enjoyed."

"Are you sure? Because if he mistreated you, I can beat the hell out of him of you want."

His words reminded me of the conversation I had with Dave earlier. All of a sudden, a rush of anger surged through me.

"There's no need for that," I said, the coldness in my tone surprising me. "Actually, he'd been nothing but nice to me."