Chapter 7 - "Well, we can't all be perfect."

There was now a fourth resident at the McKenzie house. The evidence was in the fourth spoon left on the kitchen table after a late night of talking and ice cream, and Tristan sleeping on the couch in the living room.

It was the morning after the new member arrived and the said visitor was in the family room with Cece. Both of them were standing on their heads, their legs balancing in the air as they took in deep breaths.

Cece had been up before the sun again, she hadn't written a single word in the last two days. Correction, she had written hundreds of words but hadn't kept any of them. She had padded downstairs in search of something to keep her mind and hands busy and had discovered her mother pulling out a yoga mat. Cece had wordlessly grabbed her own mat and joined her mother in the early morning workout.

Yoga was something Cece had tried in one of her bouts with writer's block and while it had done wonders for her balance she had never achieved the coveted peaceful mind so many people had. She was content to join her mother, but even now, standing on her head, the blood falling from her toes, her thoughts still turned to Millie Kate, who definitely did not do yoga.

Cece and her mother were transitioning from standing on their heads into standing on one leg while their body attempted to be a pretzel when Elliot stumbled into the room with a bowl of cereal in her hands. She was still in her pajamas and her hair was messy. She sat on the couch and began to eat her cereal.

"Morning love," Marilyn sang, her voice not affected by the effort it took to hold the complex pose while standing on one foot.

"Morning," Elliot said, her mouth full of Kix. Cece only glanced at her sister but the look made her lose her balance and fall over.

"I see you've roped mother into one of your distractions," Elliot said to her.

"Mother was doing yoga all on her own," Cece corrected her. "I simply joined."

"It's good for jet lag," Marilyn said.

Elliot shook her head like they were both crazy. Elliot's version of yoga consisted of laying in Child's Pose for however long Cece was doing yoga. She was supportive enough to stay by Cece's side but refused to participate.
Cece gave a self-satisfied smile to Elliot as she tried to regain her balance. Elliot scrutinized her for a moment before turning her attention to their mother.

"Mother, has Cece told you about Malcolm?"

Cece glared at her sister. "Elliot," Cece warned.

"The muse?" Marilyn said.

Cece's face turned sour. "No."

"Yes," Elliot grinned. Malcolm had been mentioned in an off-handed way since Marilyn had arrived the day before but Cece hadn't been keen on diving into all the details. She knew her mother's feelings about Malcolm would align with Elliot's and one, Cece didn't need another opposing voice, and two, Elliot didn't need any more support in her hate campaign against Malcolm.

"He is the son of a Senator," Elliot said.

"Well, we can't all be perfect," Marilyn said.

"Politics are as far from perfect as one can get," Elliot rolled her eyes. "Cece is practically the first lady."

Cece snorted. The very thought of any long-term relationship with Malcolm was comical.

"Hardly," she said. "Malcolm's aspirations far outweigh his likability."

"It is an interesting fit for you," Marilyn mused, studying Cece. Cece in turn glowered at Elliot. Elliot had known exactly what she was doing when she had brought Malcolm up.