Chapter 12 - "So you know they are bad?"

There was a major shift in Cece's writing over the next couple of days. Instead of waiting for a spark to transport her into Millie Kate's world long enough to write a scene, Cece never left Millie Kate's world.

While Cece wrote, Belmont and Millie Kate were the only real thing to Cece, but even when Cece shut her computer for the day, Millie Kate still hovered in the background, keeping a piece of Cece always in Belmont. Which did wonders for her writing. In four days, she had written six chapters and on the morning of the fifth day, she was finishing up her seventh and heading straight into the eighth chapter.

Cece had never been one for routines in her writing like Elliot but for the last couple of days, she had found herself at The Thinking Cup early in the morning and writing until the sun was low in the sky. Sometime around eleven and two she would stand up and stretch as she headed to the front counter for a refill, and getting a refill always meant talking with Barista Boy.

Cece use to hate interruptions as she always feared they would chase away what little inspiration she had managed to find, but with Millie Kate securely in her head, Cece found the interruptions a welcomed break. As pleased as she was to have found a blessed break from her writer's block, it was also exhausting living and breathing her book. For a few minutes of her day, she wanted a break from the laced gloves and coquettish manners.

Barista Boy was always happy to be the provider of the interruptions. After the first day of Cece's marathon writing, he had asked about the story and she had told him all about Millie Kate and her love interests.

As she had finished explaining everything she became aware of how long she had talked and looked to Barista Boy sure she would find him silently pleading for her to stop talking, but instead he had started asking questions. What was driving Millie Kate? What were her hopes? What were the dreams she didn't tell anyone? Cece grinned as she answered.

Once Barista Boy knew the story, most of their conversations seemed to center around Millie Kate and her life in Belmont. Barista Boy liked to ask goofy questions right along with the intellectual ones and Cece found herself diving deeper into who Millie Kate was. When they weren't talking about Millie Kate, they liked to bounce between talking about literature and philosophy to talking about the people in the coffee shop.

Cece wasn't surprised when Barista Boy joined her at her table to eat his lunch on the second day. She was in the middle of writing a tense interaction between Millie Kate and her mom and couldn't stop, but Barista Boy didn't seem to mind and had pulled out a book.

By day four, Cece found herself finishing up around the same time Barista Boy was finishing his shift. He was heading towards the Back Bay so Cece walked with him as far as Elliot's office.

The next day he was going grocery shopping and they walked to the corner store together. This time Cece had the mind to grab her own basket but she barely filled it, too caught up in their conversation about Dickens' greatest work. She was still distracted when she added her food to Barista Boy's at check out and paid for it all.

They were walking back along Charles Street carrying their bags of food, when Cece saw Elliot hurrying towards them, excitedly shouting something. Cece lost track of what Barista Boy was saying as she tried to figure out what Elliot was saying.

"The Free-Bee's are practicing!" Elliot shouted again, this time her words becoming clear as she got closer.

"No!" Cece shouted back, jumping with joy.

"Yes! They were just getting started when I passed. Let's go!"

"Come on!" Cece said, tugging on Barista Boy's arm as she hurried to catch up with Elliot. "it's been months since we've seen them," she said to Elliot once they were walking side by side.