Part 9 - You're (not) a wizard, Y/N

Y/N couldn't help but wonder if Draco deliberately waited until the last minute to tell her family that he was leaving so he could evade her questioning. She tried to talk to him later that evening by knocking on his door, but she was met with complete silence.

Draco was ignoring her, and she didn't get why. She'd promised to not tell anyone–even begged for him to trust her and essentially swore on her life–but he still wasn't acting normal. Perhaps he didn't want her to badger him with questions about the magical world.

Or maybe this was an excuse to get away from her.

Y/N swallowed the second possibility and locked it away somewhere out of sight. He'd left without a single word more to her (not even a congratulations for getting into a top 20 school, that loser) and never even bothered telling her when he'd return. And maybe that was the nicest part of it–she could pretend like he was never coming back.

As attractive as that option was, she had to admit that there was a Draco-shaped hole in her passenger car seat every time she drove to school. And in the kitchen when she was studying. And everywhere else he'd once touched.

"Why do you think he went back?"

Y/N took a break from reviewing her Art History final exam notes to look up at Lizzy. "Maybe something happened with his dad or he wanted to spend his holidays with his family? It's probably not that serious."

"Speaking of his dad, I tried to look up his name and see if anything came up," Lizzy began. Y/N felt her heart jump into her throat. "Don't you think it's kinda sus? I haven't found anything for him. It's like he's been completely wiped off the face of the earth. Do you know anything about it?"

"Honestly, I don't think it's any of my business." Draco's franticness when she found out lingered in the back of her mind as she chose her words carefully. "I'm sure if he's a genuine political target, they've just scrubbed the web clean of him, being a minor and all."

"But don't you think it's funny that he's apparently so important but there's no evidence of him or his father ever existing?"

"Lizzy." Her voice was firm. "It's entirely possible that his real name is different. And either way, it's not our story to uncover. He's entitled to his own privacy, and if he doesn't reveal his true identity then we need to respect that."

"Oooookaaayyyyy, Mother," said Lizzy. "You're so fun. You know that, right?"

"It's my job."

After the close brush with Lizzy, Y/N avoided the topic of Draco with her friends like wildfire. At the back of her mind, she registered that that was probably more suspicious, but when Sylvia asked her about him during lunch, she finally spun up a story.

"I told him I liked him," she told everyone, the words stinging her throat. "He doesn't feel the same way. I just would feel better if we dropped it."

Her friends reacted immediately with sympathy, telling her that it wasn't her fault that he couldn't see her for what she was worth. Somehow, this made her feel worse. She didn't even need to tell him her feelings to know his thoughts–he didn't see her as anything but a "muggle", or whatever he called them. She never stood a chance.

Y/N spent an embarrassing amount of time wondering how things would've been different if she was a witch. She didn't know anything about his world (apart from the fact that they really had a stick up their asses about people knowing of them) but she somehow craved a place in it. Would Draco feel differently towards her if she was magic?

It was probably better if she didn't pay too much mind to it, but she couldn't let the thought go. Every time she shut her eyes at night, the memory of waking up next to Draco replayed in her head, over and over. She would've sold her soul to have gone back to that. Would things have been different if she had just...not found the letters? She was driving herself crazy digging through all her interactions with him. There's no way she was imagining things, and judging by the surprised reactions of her friends when she told them he didn't reciprocate feelings, she wasn't the only one who thought something was there. If he was really so disgusted by her and her people, he wouldn't have let her sleep in his room, in his bed no less.