War of the Ancients

Author's Note: Once again, I apologize for the wait...senior year is a literal hell. But over 400 reads is AMAZING and thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting. I really appreciate it! 

 If you haven't noticed by now, I've decided to alternate each part between John and Sebastian's POVs - just to keep things interesting. 

Enjoy! :)

The Point of View of Sebastian Moran

    “What the hell is this?”

    Seb and Moriarty stood in front of a vintage, blue police box. “These things aren’t even around anymore,” Moriarty muttered as he fiddled with the lock. “Some disguise, Doctor.”

    “Jim,” Seb said tightly, as Moriarty squinted at the key in his hand before trying again to open the door. “What are we doing?”

    “Since when have you ever needed a reason to cause trouble before, Seb?”

    “Since you started breaking into old police relics and muttering about time travel. Honestly Jim, this is all a little –”

     “Got it!”

    And the two doors opened inward, against the instructions on the front that said they opened out. Moriarty rushed in, and Seb glanced around them, wondering how many people would question two men getting into a police box together. He was just deciding he didn’t much care when Moriarty grabbed him by the collar and dragged him into the box, too.

    The doors shut behind them, but it wasn’t dark. The whole space was all light and space and sound. Seb could tell right away that wherever they were, it sure as hell wasn’t just a tiny police box. This place was massive, with hallways on all sides and a giant, misshaped console in the middle, up some stairs. Strange whirring noises and beeps were coming from the controls, and it all smelled faintly like lavender. That was the strangest part for Seb to wrap his mind around.  He could think of a dozen reasons offhand for why it was bigger on the inside. But where the hell had the lavender smell come from?

    “Surprised?” Moriarty had bounced up the stairs to the console and was fiddling with the controls. “Impressed?”

    Sebastian shrugged. “Nothing surprises me anymore.”

    Although his back was turned, Sebastian could picture Moriarty’s slight pout. There was nothing his boss enjoyed more than shocking people or making them squirm. He got off on it, but Sebastian was so stoic and unflinching, he was always a disappointing target.

    “What exactly is it?” Seb asked, eventually, to appease him.

    Moriarty whirled around, his teeth spread wide. “So glad you asked, Sebby. So glad. Why don’t I show you?”

    Before Sebastian could answer, Moriarty was flying around the circular console, pulling levers and typing in coordinates. He was going so fast he was just a blur, like a dancer whose music had been sped up by the hundreds. Sebastian swore that at one point, he saw the criminal mastermind do a spin as he shoved a button down with the full force of his fist.

     The entire TARDIS suddenly lurched forward, sending Sebastian toppling to the floor. He could hear the crack as his head hit the metal, but he threw himself off the ground in defiance of gravity and looked at Moriarty, who was walking around the room as if nothing was amiss and they were still on solid ground.  

    Fighting the shaking of his legs, Sebastian grabbed hold of a railing to keep himself steady.

    “What the hell,” he muttered under his breath.

    And then, just as quickly as it began, it was over. All was still – save for Jim Moriarty, who tossed him a grin and then ran like a school boy to the front doors. With a grand snap of his fingers, the TARDIS opened her doors. “Why don’t you take a look?”

    Sebastian exhaled, his breath heavy. “Jim.” He said it through clenched teeth. “I know you have a different face and a different personality and you’re an alien, but I’m not sure how much longer I can handle this…frivolity.”

    Moriarty stepped out of the TARDIS and tossed a broad smile back. “Frivolity? This isn’t frivolity, Sebby. This is Sparta.” 

    “Sparta?”

    Sebastian realized he could hear the crashing of waves nearby – and they had been nowhere near an ocean in London. Warily, he stepped forward, out the front doors and into the bright sun of classical Sparta. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

    Jim was leaning up against the outside of the box, his arms folded as he looked out at the city.

    “I’m not blind you know, I’ve seen you pulling out your old army uniform,” he said, quietly. “I know you miss it. I figured you’d get a kick out of seeing the largest military power in ancient Greece.”

    Sebastian looked at his boss quizzically. In all the years of their partnership, this was by far the most thoughtful thing Moriarty had ever done for…anyone. James Moriarty wasn’t thoughtful. He wasn’t kind. He was maniacal, and clever, and rude. This was a strange change of pace and it sat heavy in Seb’s stomach.

    Moriarty sighed, then straightened up and said, “I wouldn’t want your stupid human nostalgia getting in the way of my plans, would I?”

    Ahh. There it was. Same old Moriarty.

    “Come on Seb, let’s take a look around and wreak some havoc.”

    For the first time in a long time while walking into the ancient city, Sebastian felt like he and Moriarty were on the same page. It didn’t matter that they were thousands of years out of their own timeline – it was like they were back on the London streets, causing chaos again. It felt right.

~

    “Seb!”

    Seb had spent the better part of the day exploring on his own, perusing the various weapon arsenals and watching street fights to get a hang of the Spartan’s fighting habits. It wasn’t exactly like being back in the army, but it filled him with the same sort of blood lust that he had so missed.

    Hearing his name, Sebastian skidded to a halt and nearly avoided crashing into a moving cart. He tossed the man a slightly sarcastic apologetic look, and turned to see Moriarty trotting towards him, adorned in full Greek attire. “What are you wearing, Jim?”

    “Like it?” Moriarty held out his arms and showed off his deep red robes. “I decided maybe a suit wasn’t exactly proper attire to wear while meeting the King of Sparta. Come on, let’s go.”

    “The King of Sparta?” Seb sputtered as he jogged a bit to catch up. “You don’t seriously think you’re going to –”

    “Oh, but I am. Well, we are. It’s time to pay good old King Meneleus a visit.”

     Seb hadn’t been big on ancient history in school (without guns to fight with, where was the fun?), but the name Meneleus sounded eerily familiar.

     “Wait. Wasn’t King Meneleus the one that married that girl, the one who…Helen?”

    It seemed like Jim had been waiting for Sebastian to catch on, because his grin was so wide it nearly split his lip. “Indeed he is. The infamous Helen of Troy. Well, not Troy, not yet. Welcome to Sparta on the brink of the Trojan War, Seb.”

    Any place on the cusp of war was an exhilarating, intoxicating place for Seb – but the thought about seeing it in an ancient city filled him with an intense curiosity.

    Soon they stood on the steps of a palace that was all columns and white marble. Jim turned to Seb with a glint in his eyes. “The face that launched a thousand ships, you know. Let’s go see if Helen lives up to the legend, shall we?”